Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Problem with Ruby Installation

Problem with Ruby Installation

Michael Satterwhite

I'm running Ubuntu Breezy. Because of some problems with the version of
Rails distributed with it, I've compiled ruby 1.8.4 and installed it -
and have removed the version from the distribution.

I'm now getting the error

require': no such file to load -- rubygems (LoadError)

This tells me that there are other things I need to install, too.
Definitely this one, and probably some others that I'm not aware of
(yet). Keeping in mind that I'm an old hand at computing (35 years) and
very new to ruby; what seems obvious to you might never dawn on me.

Would some of you guru's be so kind as to help me (a) fix the above
problem and (b) point out some of the other things I need to install -
like mysql gateways, etc. Pointing me at where to get them would be
greatly appreciated, too.

Thanks in advance
---Michael

Erik Veenstra

> require': no such file to load -- rubygems (LoadError)
>
> Would some of you guru's be so kind as to help me (a) fix the
> above problem and (b) point out some of the other things I
> need to install - like mysql gateways, etc. Pointing me at
> where to get them would be greatly appreciated, too.

RubyGems is the de facto way to distribute Ruby
packages/addons/extensions/libraries/whatever. Even RubyGems is
distribute as a gem. The first problem for you to solve is
bootstrapping this loop. The process of installing RubyGems by
hand is explained in [1].

Once that is done, you can use "gem search mysql -r" to find
the gem you want and use "gem install mysql" to install this
stone.

Life easy, when you know how where to start...

gegroet,
Erik V. - http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/

[1] http://www.rubygems.org/read/chapter/3

Rick DeNatale

On 8/6/06, Michael Satterwhite <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm running Ubuntu Breezy. Because of some problems with the version of
> Rails distributed with it, I've compiled ruby 1.8.4 and installed it -
> and have removed the version from the distribution.

It's unclear from what you wrote whether you also removed the Ubuntu
rails package, but if not, I'd recommend doing that as well and
installing rails as a gem, after you've followed Erik's advice.

The debian packaging of Rails (and therefore Ubuntu's as well) is a
bit of a hack. The debian guys aren't happy about where ruby-gems
puts its files so they don't package ruby-gems. Back when I had the
ubuntu/debian rails package installed, it looked like theyd they'd
actually rewritten the rails installer as a bash script!

--
Rick DeNatale

Michael Satterwhite

Erik Veenstra wrote:

> RubyGems is the de facto way to distribute Ruby
> packages/addons/extensions/libraries/whatever. Even RubyGems is
> distribute as a gem. The first problem for you to solve is
> bootstrapping this loop. The process of installing RubyGems by
> hand is explained in [1].
>
> Once that is done, you can use "gem search mysql -r" to find
> the gem you want and use "gem install mysql" to install this
> stone.
>
> Life easy, when you know how where to start...

...and I'll admit to being new enough that I have *NO IDEA* where to
start. <g>

I went to the site you referenced and downloaded rubygems 0.9.0. I
untarred it, went to the directory and (as root) ran ruby setup.rb -
which is what the site said to do. It ran a bit, then gave me the
following error:

/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
`gem_original_require': no such file to load -- zlib (LoadError)

I did see the note about installing libzlib, but when I tell apt to do
so, it says that it is installed and at the latest version. Obviously
something is still missing.

All help *GREATLY* appreciated.
---Michael

Erik Veenstra

What's the output of this?:

$ find `ruby -r rbconfig -e 'puts Config::CONFIG["archdir"]'` | grep
-wie zlib

Erik Veenstra wrote:
> What's the output of this?:
>
> $ find `ruby -r rbconfig -e 'puts Config::CONFIG["archdir"]'` | grep
> -wie zlib

I think you've put your finger on the problem. The above command has no
output. Looking closer, I see that ruby is apparently looking for
zlib.so under /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/i686-linux.

The library is actually under /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux/zlib.so (as
placed by my distribution). This, of course, brings up the question of
how to correct this. I need to either (a) Tell ruby where the libraries
are, (b) Move the libraries to where ruby thinks they are, or (c)
Recompile ruby to be in /usr/bin - which is where the distribution put
it. To me, (c) looks the least error prone - but I'm sure willing to
listen to other suggestions. Almost everyone here knows more about ruby
than I do.

Thanks - and all help is appreciated
---Michael

Michael Satterwhite

Aaron Kulbe wrote:
> You may have done some of this already, so disregard the parts that
> already
> apply:
>

> then sudo make install
>
> Cheers,
>
> Aaron Kulbe

Aaron,

If you're ever in the Houston, Texas area, I owe you a lunch.

Next question (for Aaron or anyone):
The Ubuntu distribution release of the mysql driver for ruby doesn't
seem to work with a compiled version of ruby. I tried installing it with

Michael Satterwhite

Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> Aaron Kulbe wrote:
>> You may have done some of this already, so disregard the parts that
>> already
>> apply:
>>

>> then sudo make install
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Aaron Kulbe

> Aaron,
>
> If you're ever in the Houston, Texas area, I owe you a lunch.
>
> Next question (for Aaron or anyone):
> The Ubuntu distribution release of the mysql driver for ruby doesn't
> seem to work with a compiled version of ruby. I tried installing it with

sudo gem install mysql

It asks me which version to install, and I chose the latest non-windows
version. It then runs a bit and I get the following error

necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
details. You may need configuration options.

I'm sure this tells those of you who have been around a bit a lot, but
I'm brand new to gems. How do I address getting the mysql library up.
Also, are there other gems that I should consider installing as well.

Thanks again
---Michael

Erik Veenstra

> sudo gem install mysql
>
> Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack
> of necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log
> file for more details. You may need configuration options.

Well, uh, what does mkmf.log tell you?... ;]

Have you installed the MySQL development packages? You can find
them with "apt-cache search mysql | grep -ie mysql.*dev".

> I'm sure this tells those of you who have been around a bit a
> lot, but I'm brand new to gems. How do I address getting the
> mysql library up. Also, are there other gems that I should
> consider installing as well.

Lesson one when installing Ruby on Ubuntu: Remove all default
Ruby packages that come with Ubuntu and compile everything
yourself.

gegroet,
Erik V. - http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/

Cliff Cyphers

Erik Veenstra wrote:

> Lesson one when installing Ruby on Ubuntu: Remove all default
> Ruby packages that come with Ubuntu and compile everything
> yourself.

When you install Ruby from source it would be better to include
--prefix=/usr/local/ruby

And update your path to include /usr/local/ruby/bin before /usr/bin and
you don't have to worry about what ever packages have been installed for
your distro.