Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [ANN] Composite Primary Keys support for Associations

[ANN] Composite Primary Keys support for Associations

Dr Nic

[Cross-post from Ruby on Rails list]

Announcement:
Composite Primary Keys gem now includes support for ActiveRecord
Associations.

using the set_primary_keys class method. Previous versions provided full
CRUD and find support. This latest release provides support for more
ActiveRecord magic: associations (has_many, belongs_to, etc)

Full report:
http://drnicwilliams.com/2006/08/02/...-associations/

Cheers
Dr Nic

Matt Todd

Hello my windowed friend! Glad to hear you're making good progress
with this interesting tool.

What kind of integration into Migrations does it have? Are you looking
for any kind of help on that front?

M.T.

Dr Nic

> What kind of integration into Migrations does it have? Are you looking
> for any kind of help on that front?

My initial aim was to get it working for legacy dbs - ppl who already
had composite keys to live with. Like me.

I think it'd be nice for join tables, for example, to be able to have
explicit composite keys via migrations. But other than that, I assumed
most people - given the chance - would want to have lovely, free, single
primary keys.

If you whip up any code for migration support yourself, then email me
and/or dump it on the forum (http://groups.google.com/compositekeys).

Cheers
Nic