Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > SQL Parser in Ruby

SQL Parser in Ruby

Dr Nic

Has anyone taken the time to bang together an SQL parser for Ruby?

Cheers
Nic

Matthew Harris

I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult, but what good would an SQL92 parser be?

On 7/24/06, Dr Nic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Has anyone taken the time to bang together an SQL parser for Ruby?
>
> Cheers
> Nic

Matt

Dr Nic

Matthew Harris wrote:
> I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult, but what good would an SQL92
> parser be?

I wanted it for the subset of grammar for create/update/delete
tables/indexes etc - the stuff that some dbs store in data dictionary
tables, but MySQL doesn't. If the database generation sql was available,
then the data dictionary information could be reengineered.

Cheers
Nic

Dmitry Buzdin

I believe that there is a feature in Ruby on Rails, which belongs to
ActiveRecord, that allows you to export existing DB structure in the
Ruby upgrade script, which in turn generates SQL.
May be this will solve Your issue.

I hope that I have understood your problem correct.

Dmirty

Dr Nic wrote:
> Matthew Harris wrote:
> > I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult, but what good would an SQL92
> > parser be?

> I wanted it for the subset of grammar for create/update/delete
> tables/indexes etc - the stuff that some dbs store in data dictionary
> tables, but MySQL doesn't. If the database generation sql was available,
> then the data dictionary information could be reengineered.
>
> Cheers
> Nic

Dr Nic

Dmitry Buzdin wrote:
> I believe that there is a feature in Ruby on Rails, which belongs to
> ActiveRecord, that allows you to export existing DB structure in the
> Ruby upgrade script, which in turn generates SQL.
> May be this will solve Your issue.

It certainly should do something like that,shouldn't it - given it
reflectively determines the table schema at runtime.

I'll go hunt for the code.

Thanks for the reminder.

Cheers
Nic

Marjun Pagalan

Dr Nic wrote:
> Dmitry Buzdin wrote:
>> I believe that there is a feature in Ruby on Rails, which belongs to
>> ActiveRecord, that allows you to export existing DB structure in the
>> Ruby upgrade script, which in turn generates SQL.
>> May be this will solve Your issue.

> It certainly should do something like that,shouldn't it - given it
> reflectively determines the table schema at runtime.
>
> I'll go hunt for the code.
>
> Thanks for the reminder.
>
> Cheers
> Nic

Hi,
im a newbie and want to know if this sql parser in ruby is already out
there?

thanks.

import parser does not import parser.py in same dir on win Joel Hedlund Python 2 11-11-2006 03:46 PM
XML Parser VS HTML Parser ZOCOR Java 11 10-05-2004 01:58 PM
XMLparser: Difference between parser.setErrorHandler() vs. parser.setContentHandler() Bernd Oninger Java 0 06-09-2004 01:26 AM
XMLparser: Difference between parser.setErrorHandler() vs. parser.setContentHandler() Bernd Oninger XML 0 06-09-2004 01:26 AM

Advertisments