Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [Nitro] [ANN] Nitro/Og 0.31.0

Reply
Thread Tools

[Nitro] [ANN] Nitro/Og 0.31.0

 
 
gabriele renzi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-24-2006
(forwarding from nitro's list)


Nitro version 0.31 is a maintenance release, mostly aimed at fixing
small things in 0.30 release.

The release is mostly due to the great work of Bryan Soto at integrating
patches from the community and to the nicety of darcs


** Changes

= Og ==

* Increased size of ogtype field in single table inheritance tables to
50 from 30.

* Made Og (Mysql) respect the port option when creating and dropping
databases.

* Added thread_safe to Og.setup options.

* Added #to_xml and #to_rexml method to Og managed objects.

== Nitro ==

* Mongrel adapter updated to work with latest versions of Mongrel.

* Fixed a long-standing bug where the template root wasn't determined
correctly (would result in blank pages).

* Added sendfile support.

* helper/pager.rb: add option to set nav link titles

* Fixed strip_path support. When this setting is set to a path, it
will be stripped from urls. Given,

Router.strip_path = '/nitro-apps'

when the dispatcher gets a url like /nitro-apps/blog it will strip out
/nitro-apps and resolve to the controller for /blog.

* Wee helper is removed.

* Updated Nitro start page with links to the examples.

== Glue ==

Bugfixes. Refactored taggable.rb and removed attribute in favor of
Facets's cattr which was then replaced with settings.

** Contributors
Andrew Thompson
Bill Kelly
Fabian Buch
Fang Sun
Felix Wittmann
Gabriele Renzi
Guillaume Pierronnet
James Britt
Jan A. Lambert
Matt Moriarity
Michael Fellinger

** Get it by running

# gem update -y nitro

or

# gem install -y nitro

Archives for manual installations and example apps (examples, spark
and flare) are also available for download from

http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=418
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Eric Armstrong
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2006
Suggestion: If an announcement like this contained
a sentence or two telling me what nitro is, I'd
have some idea whether I wanted to google it or
traverse the rubyforge link in hopes of finding some
documentation.

gabriele renzi wrote:
> (forwarding from nitro's list)
>
>
> Nitro version 0.31 is a maintenance release, mostly aimed at fixing
> small things in 0.30 release.
>
> The release is mostly due to the great work of Bryan Soto at integrating
> patches from the community and to the nicety of darcs
>
>
> ** Changes
>
> = Og ==
>
> * Increased size of ogtype field in single table inheritance tables to
> 50 from 30.
>
> * Made Og (Mysql) respect the port option when creating and dropping
> databases.
>
> * Added thread_safe to Og.setup options.
>
> * Added #to_xml and #to_rexml method to Og managed objects.
>
> == Nitro ==
>
> * Mongrel adapter updated to work with latest versions of Mongrel.
>
> * Fixed a long-standing bug where the template root wasn't determined
> correctly (would result in blank pages).
>
> * Added sendfile support.
>
> * helper/pager.rb: add option to set nav link titles
>
> * Fixed strip_path support. When this setting is set to a path, it
> will be stripped from urls. Given,
>
> Router.strip_path = '/nitro-apps'
>
> when the dispatcher gets a url like /nitro-apps/blog it will strip out
> /nitro-apps and resolve to the controller for /blog.
>
> * Wee helper is removed.
>
> * Updated Nitro start page with links to the examples.
>
> == Glue ==
>
> Bugfixes. Refactored taggable.rb and removed attribute in favor of
> Facets's cattr which was then replaced with settings.
>
> ** Contributors
> Andrew Thompson
> Bill Kelly
> Fabian Buch
> Fang Sun
> Felix Wittmann
> Gabriele Renzi
> Guillaume Pierronnet
> James Britt
> Jan A. Lambert
> Matt Moriarity
> Michael Fellinger
>
> ** Get it by running
>
> # gem update -y nitro
>
> or
>
> # gem install -y nitro
>
> Archives for manual installations and example apps (examples, spark
> and flare) are also available for download from
>
> http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=418
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jeff Pritchard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2006
Eric Armstrong wrote:
> Suggestion: If an announcement like this contained
> a sentence or two telling me what nitro is, I'd
> have some idea whether I wanted to google it or
> traverse the rubyforge link in hopes of finding some
> documentation.


From the rubyforge summary:
Nitro is an efficient, yet simple engine for developing professional Web
Applications using the Ruby language.

Guess it is a rails wannabe.

jp

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jamey Cribbs
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2006
Jeff Pritchard wrote:
> >From the rubyforge summary:

> Nitro is an efficient, yet simple engine for developing professional Web
> Applications using the Ruby language.
>
> Guess it is a rails wannabe.
>

I personally have not used Nitro, and I have no idea how many hours the
Nitro team has spent working on the project, however, I am pretty sure
that the amount of work put into Nitro warrants that it deserves to be
referred to as something more than "a Rails wannabe".

I don't mean to come across as critical of your statement; I just felt
like this should be said.

Jamey Cribbs

 
Reply With Quote
 
James Britt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2006
Jamey Cribbs wrote:
> Jeff Pritchard wrote:
>
>> >From the rubyforge summary:

>> Nitro is an efficient, yet simple engine for developing professional
>> Web Applications using the Ruby language.
>>
>> Guess it is a rails wannabe.
>>

>
> I personally have not used Nitro, and I have no idea how many hours the
> Nitro team has spent working on the project, however, I am pretty sure
> that the amount of work put into Nitro warrants that it deserves to be
> referred to as something more than "a Rails wannabe".
>
> I don't mean to come across as critical of your statement; I just felt
> like this should be said.


I've built applications in both Rails and Nitro. They're different
enough that both are worth knowing.

I believe that Nitro was underway at the same time as Rails was getting
going; both are frameworks extracted from actual applications built to
solve real-world problems. The projects may or may not have copied
ideas from one another (though I assume all good projects steal from
everything they can), but neither is a wannabe.

I find that Nitro lends itself to a different way of thinking about Web
and application development than Rails, and Og (the O/R part of Nitro)
is better suited for certain data and object persistence needs than
ActiveRecord.

The best part, of course, is that it's not an either/or choice, and if
you're serious about Web development in Ruby you owe it to yourself to
spend some time with Nitro, IOWA, Rails, and Wee, for starters.

Ruby gives you choices. Pick the best tool for the job.

--
James Britt

http://www.ruby-doc.org - Ruby Help & Documentation
http://www.artima.com/rubycs/ - The Journal By & For Rubyists
http://www.rubystuff.com - The Ruby Store for Ruby Stuff
http://refreshingcities.org - Design, technology, usability

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Kelly
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2006
From: "Jamey Cribbs" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> Jeff Pritchard wrote:
>> >From the rubyforge summary:

>> Nitro is an efficient, yet simple engine for developing professional Web
>> Applications using the Ruby language.
>>
>> Guess it is a rails wannabe.
>>

> I personally have not used Nitro, and I have no idea how many hours the
> Nitro team has spent working on the project, however, I am pretty sure
> that the amount of work put into Nitro warrants that it deserves to be
> referred to as something more than "a Rails wannabe".
>
> I don't mean to come across as critical of your statement; I just felt
> like this should be said.


I'd like to add that I'm not affiliated with the Nitro project itself,
but I'm using Nitro to develop a commercial web application.

I *think* Nitro has been around about as long as Rails. Certainly
Nitro and Rails were both around before either one became
popular.

On my current project, I started out in Rails, and bought the
excellent PragProg Agile Development w/ Rails book, and also
the superlative Rails Recipes book... Personally, (and this is
100% PERSONAL OPINION) Nitro ended up fitting the
contours of my skull better than Rails, so I switched to Nitro.
And I'm happy.

.... I was going to write more, but I just refreshed the unread
messages, and I see James Britt has already said the rest. <grin>

* * *

After some deliberation, I'd like to share a paragraph I
wrote to the Nitro mailing list, circa my decision to switch
from Rails to Nitro. . . . I am hoping this is acknowledged
as personal opinion, and is recognized to be just my
__personal impressions__:

2006-05-07
"(One of the things I _loved_ about Nitro vs. Rails, is
how Hello World in Nitro can be literally one .rb file and
maybe five simple lines of code. And how that Hello World
can be morphed steadily--as in the screencast--into a more
complex project piece by piece incrementally. Contrast
this with Rails, which generates a skeleton project of
44 files and 31 directories - just for Hello World. I'm
sure the argument is that for a large project one will
eventually _need_ all this structure; but I much prefer
the way Nitro gives me the opportunity to build incrementally
with just the structure I want.)"

Again, Nitro just meshed with my brain better - just a
personal opinion, and I respect others who may feel
differently.


Regards,

Bill

(P.S. if anyone can find the Nitro screencast showing
the evolution from simple Hello World "one liner" to a
gradually more complex app, I'd appreciate a link, as I
seem to have lost it. Thx.)


 
Reply With Quote
 
khaines@enigo.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2006
On Wed, 26 Jul 2006, Jeff Pritchard wrote:

> Nitro is an efficient, yet simple engine for developing professional Web
> Applications using the Ruby language.
>
> Guess it is a rails wannabe.


Nitro and Rails are similar in age, and similar in origins, as both were
extracted from work on a real world project. Both are web development
frameworks. And that's where the similarity ends.

They take different, but, IMHO, equally effective approaches to the
problem of making web development more efficient, as do each of several
other Ruby web development frameworks, none of which are Rails wannabes.


Kirk Haines


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Kelly
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-29-2006
From: "Dimitri Aivaliotis" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> On 7/26/06, Bill Kelly <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (P.S. if anyone can find the Nitro screencast showing
>> the evolution from simple Hello World "one liner" to a
>> gradually more complex app, I'd appreciate a link, as I
>> seem to have lost it. Thx.)

>
>
> Is this the screencast you meant?
>
> http://www.nitroproject.org/videos/nitro.html



Yes!! Thanks, that was it.

$ cat demo.rb
require 'nitro'

class Hello
def index
'hello world'
end
end

Nitro.start Hello


.......That was something I could really latch onto, because
the complexity builds from there. But what a nice starting
point. Elegant.



Regards,

Bill



 
Reply With Quote
 
George Moschovitis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-29-2006
Let me present another more elegant example of Nitro:

require 'nitro_and_og'

class Content
attr_accessor :title, :body, String
attr_accessor :hits, Fixnum

def initialize(title)
@title = title
end
end

class Category < Content
attr_accessor :wow, String
has_many osts
end

class Post < Content
belongs_to :category
end

class Demo
def categories(oid)
category = Category[oid]
print "<ul>"
for post in category.posts
print "<li>{post}</li>"
end
print "</ul>
end

def init_db
c1 = Category.create('Hello')
c2 = Categroy.create('World')
post = Post.new('Hello world')
post.category = c1
post.save
end
end

Og.start
Nitro.start Demo

hit http://localhost:9999/init_db to put dummy data in the database
(sqlite used by default)
hit http://localhost:9999/categories/1 to view the posts in category 1.

Notice how nitro automatically handles nice urls. Also note that you
could (and should) use a separate xhtml template (view) to handle the
page rendering instead of using print statements (or the programmatic
builder).

But you really have to experiment with Nitro, there are so many
features/options.


regards,
George.

--
http://www.nitroproject.org

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jeff Pritchard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-29-2006
Jamey Cribbs wrote:
> Jeff Pritchard wrote:
>> >From the rubyforge summary:

>> Nitro is an efficient, yet simple engine for developing professional Web
>> Applications using the Ruby language.
>>
>> Guess it is a rails wannabe.
>>

> I personally have not used Nitro, and I have no idea how many hours the
> Nitro team has spent working on the project, however, I am pretty sure
> that the amount of work put into Nitro warrants that it deserves to be
> referred to as something more than "a Rails wannabe".
>
> I don't mean to come across as critical of your statement; I just felt
> like this should be said.
>
> Jamey Cribbs


Mea Culpa. My appologies to the Nitro team. Poor choice of words on my
part.

best,
jp

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Advertisments