Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Can't debug with Ruby in Steel...

Can't debug with Ruby in Steel...

Just Another Victim of the Ambient Morality

Two points...
First, how does one actually debug with Ruby in Steel? I can place
breakpoints and run the script but the breakpoints are never set even though
the code is run. What's up with that?
Secondly, how does one uninstall it? There's no obvious uninstall and,
if it's not useful, I would like to remove it, please...
Thank you!

Huw Collingbourne

> First, how does one actually debug with Ruby in Steel?

Breakpoints are available for Ruby programs (not for Rails). You simply
double-click in the margin to set breakpoints. You can set watch variables
by drag and drop. You must run with the Visual Studio Debugger (F5) for
breakpoints to be met. Breakpoints do not operate when you run without
debugging (Ctrl+F5). This is true of all Visual Studio languages. You can
also step into and step over when using F5 followed by F10 or F11. Full
debugging and tracing with breakpoints, watches, call stack, locals and
autos will then be available.

> breakpoints and run the script but the breakpoints are never set even
> though the code is run. What's up with that?
> Secondly, how does one uninstall it? There's no obvious uninstall and,

You uninstall it using the Control Panel's Program Add/Remove option and
select Steel. The rest is automatic.

best wishes
Huw Collingbourne

http://www.sapphiresteel.com
Ruby Programming In Visual Studio 2005

Just Another Victim of the Ambient Morality

"Huw Collingbourne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44bfeb9d$0$10950$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> First, how does one actually debug with Ruby in Steel?

> Breakpoints are available for Ruby programs (not for Rails). You simply
> double-click in the margin to set breakpoints. You can set watch variables
> by drag and drop. You must run with the Visual Studio Debugger (F5) for
> breakpoints to be met. Breakpoints do not operate when you run without
> debugging (Ctrl+F5). This is true of all Visual Studio languages. You can
> also step into and step over when using F5 followed by F10 or F11. Full
> debugging and tracing with breakpoints, watches, call stack, locals and
> autos will then be available.

I tried that but those functions are disabled. All I can do is press
Ctrl-2 to run the script. Seriously, they're disabled and I can't invoke
them...
I tried creating a project, in case that had something to do with
anything, but it gives me the error "Value cannot be null. Parameter name:
type" What does that mean?

>> breakpoints and run the script but the breakpoints are never set even
>> though the code is run. What's up with that?
>> Secondly, how does one uninstall it? There's no obvious uninstall
>> and,

> You uninstall it using the Control Panel's Program Add/Remove option and
> select Steel. The rest is automatic.

Okay, at least I can remove the thing should it fail to ever work.
Thank you...

Leslie Viljoen

On 7/21/06, Just Another Victim of the Ambient Morality
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Huw Collingbourne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:44bfeb9d$0$10950$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> breakpoints and run the script but the breakpoints are never set even
> >> though the code is run. What's up with that?
> >> Secondly, how does one uninstall it? There's no obvious uninstall
> >> and,

> > You uninstall it using the Control Panel's Program Add/Remove option and
> > select Steel. The rest is automatic.

Strange, I never saw these problems. Steel worked quite well for me on VS2005.
Which version of VS are you using?

Les

Huw Collingbourne

It sounds as though you haven't installed the file projectaggregator2.msi.
This is a file supplied by Microsoft and is required for the complete
integration into Visual Studio of a third party languages such as Ruby. You
will find a copy of this file in the Ruby In Steel installation Zip.Just
double click it to install. In the current beta the installation of this
package has to be done manually but we shall be automating it in future
versions. You may find it useful to follow our installation guide which you
will find on site at:

http://www.sapphiresteel.com/Installing-Ruby-In-Steel

best wishes
Huw Collingbourne

http://www.sapphiresteel.com
Ruby Programming In Visual Studio 2005

"Just Another Victim of the Ambient Morality" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in message news:ltYvg.36331$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> "Huw Collingbourne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:44bfeb9d$0$10950$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> First, how does one actually debug with Ruby in Steel?

>> Breakpoints are available for Ruby programs (not for Rails). You simply
>> double-click in the margin to set breakpoints. You can set watch
>> variables by drag and drop. You must run with the Visual Studio Debugger
>> (F5) for breakpoints to be met. Breakpoints do not operate when you run
>> without debugging (Ctrl+F5). This is true of all Visual Studio languages.
>> You can also step into and step over when using F5 followed by F10 or
>> F11. Full debugging and tracing with breakpoints, watches, call stack,
>> locals and autos will then be available.

> I tried that but those functions are disabled. All I can do is press
> Ctrl-2 to run the script. Seriously, they're disabled and I can't invoke
> them...
> I tried creating a project, in case that had something to do with
> anything, but it gives me the error "Value cannot be null. Parameter
> name: type" What does that mean?
>

>>> breakpoints and run the script but the breakpoints are never set even
>>> though the code is run. What's up with that?
>>> Secondly, how does one uninstall it? There's no obvious uninstall
>>> and,

>> You uninstall it using the Control Panel's Program Add/Remove option and
>> select Steel. The rest is automatic.

> Okay, at least I can remove the thing should it fail to ever work.
> Thank you...

Geroge Mr

Just Another Victim of the ... Morality wrote:
> Two points...
> First, how does one actually debug with Ruby in Steel? I can place
> breakpoints and run the script but the breakpoints are never set even
> though
> the code is run. What's up with that?
> Secondly, how does one uninstall it? There's no obvious uninstall
> and,
> if it's not useful, I would like to remove it, please...
> Thank you!

I had the same problem and after some hard hours i realized where was
the mistake (mr Collingbourne's mistake):

in routes.rb i have
map.connect ':controller/:action/:id'

the breakpoint that was never set was in controller test_controller.rb
when i access from the browser the address localhost:3000/Test/edit/4

Finally I realized that the breakpoint is set if I access
localhost:3000/test/edit/4

(see the diference between the 2 addresses 'Test' vs 'test')