Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Looking for a Ruby library to untar a file.

Looking for a Ruby library to untar a file.

shalofin@gmail.com

Does anyone know of a library to untar a file? I use Zlib to gunzip,
but can't find any file to untar the resulting data. Unfortunately I
can't get to www.ruby-lang.org right now (local network problem).

Thanks for any help,

Wayne

Thiago Jackiw

Wayne,

I don't think you need a library just to untar the a file, you can
simply run `tar xzvf FILE` inside your ruby app and that should do it.

Thiago

On 7/19/06, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Does anyone know of a library to untar a file? I use Zlib to gunzip,
> but can't find any file to untar the resulting data. Unfortunately I
> can't get to www.ruby-lang.org right now (local network problem).
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Wayne

Erik Veenstra

Have a look at tarrubyscript.rb in tar2rubyscript.tar.gz [1].
It might be a good start. Although I'm not sure it can
handle every kind of TAR file...

By the way, that code was written by from Thomas Hurst, long
time ago...

Oh, it's not a library; it's code.

gegroet,
Erik V. - http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/

[1] http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/tar2rubyscript/index.html

shalofin@gmail.com

Thiago,

I wish I could, unfortunately I am stuck on Windows for this one and
the only compression/decompression I can count on is the built-in
version Microsoft has.

Wayne

Thiago Jackiw wrote:
> Wayne,
>
> I don't think you need a library just to untar the a file, you can
> simply run `tar xzvf FILE` inside your ruby app and that should do it.
>
> Thiago
>

> On 7/19/06, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a library to untar a file? I use Zlib to gunzip,
> > but can't find any file to untar the resulting data. Unfortunately I
> > can't get to www.ruby-lang.org right now (local network problem).
> >
> > Thanks for any help,
> >
> > Wayne

shalofin@gmail.com

Erik,

Thanks for the link, I'll see if I can do something with it...who knows
maybe it will end up as a library.

Wayne

Erik Veenstra wrote:
> Have a look at tarrubyscript.rb in tar2rubyscript.tar.gz [1].
> It might be a good start. Although I'm not sure it can
> handle every kind of TAR file...
>
> By the way, that code was written by from Thomas Hurst, long
> time ago...
>
> Oh, it's not a library; it's code.
>
> gegroet,
> Erik V. - http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/
>
> [1] http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/tar2rubyscript/index.html

Mauricio Fernandez

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 01:25:14PM +0900, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Does anyone know of a library to untar a file? I use Zlib to gunzip,
> but can't find any file to untar the resulting data. Unfortunately I
> can't get to www.ruby-lang.org right now (local network problem).

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/minitar/

Get it from http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=84 or
gem install archive-tar-minitar