Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Problems installing rubyzip gem on Debian...can someone help?

Problems installing rubyzip gem on Debian...can someone help?

subimage

I haven't had issues with it before, but now I am...I go to install
rubyzip via gems and I'm getting this on a fresh Debian box:

-> sudo gem install rubyzip
Attempting local installation of 'rubyzip'
Local gem file not found: rubyzip*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rubyzip'
ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
parse error on line 0, col 31: `!ruby/object:Gem::Specification '

Anyone know what's going wrong?

transfire@gmail.com

subimage wrote:
> I haven't had issues with it before, but now I am...I go to install
> rubyzip via gems and I'm getting this on a fresh Debian box:
>
> -> sudo gem install rubyzip
> Attempting local installation of 'rubyzip'
> Local gem file not found: rubyzip*.gem
> Attempting remote installation of 'rubyzip'
> ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
> parse error on line 0, col 31: `!ruby/object:Gem::Specification '
>
> Anyone know what's going wrong?

col 31 is at the end of that line. What's that blank space there?

BTW. Is rubyzip a pure Ruby lib or does it use a backend of some sort?

T.

Daniel Harple

On Jul 18, 2006, at 8:00 AM, subimage wrote:

> I haven't had issues with it before, but now I am...I go to install
> rubyzip via gems and I'm getting this on a fresh Debian box:
>
> -> sudo gem install rubyzip
> Attempting local installation of 'rubyzip'
> Local gem file not found: rubyzip*.gem
> Attempting remote installation of 'rubyzip'
> ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
> parse error on line 0, col 31: `!ruby/object:Gem::Specification '
>
> Anyone know what's going wrong?

Maybe you ran into this problem: http://onestepback.org/index.cgi/
Tech/Ruby/DeleteYourCache.red

-- Daniel

subimage

Thanks I tried that, but it's still giving me the same damn error.

Daniel Harple wrote:
> On Jul 18, 2006, at 8:00 AM, subimage wrote:
>
> > I haven't had issues with it before, but now I am...I go to install
> > rubyzip via gems and I'm getting this on a fresh Debian box:
> >
> > -> sudo gem install rubyzip
> > Attempting local installation of 'rubyzip'
> > Local gem file not found: rubyzip*.gem
> > Attempting remote installation of 'rubyzip'
> > ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
> > parse error on line 0, col 31: `!ruby/object:Gem::Specification '
> >
> > Anyone know what's going wrong?

> Maybe you ran into this problem: http://onestepback.org/index.cgi/
> Tech/Ruby/DeleteYourCache.red
>
> -- Daniel

Dan Bernier

subimage, any luck with this? I'm getting the same thing, on a WinXP
box. I tried clearing the cache, too, and still no luck...

subimage wrote:
> Thanks I tried that, but it's still giving me the same damn error.
>
> Daniel Harple wrote:
> > On Jul 18, 2006, at 8:00 AM, subimage wrote:
> >
> > > I haven't had issues with it before, but now I am...I go to install
> > > rubyzip via gems and I'm getting this on a fresh Debian box:
> > >
> > > -> sudo gem install rubyzip
> > > Attempting local installation of 'rubyzip'
> > > Local gem file not found: rubyzip*.gem
> > > Attempting remote installation of 'rubyzip'
> > > ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
> > > parse error on line 0, col 31: `!ruby/object:Gem::Specification '
> > >
> > > Anyone know what's going wrong?

> > Maybe you ran into this problem: http://onestepback.org/index.cgi/
> > Tech/Ruby/DeleteYourCache.red
> >
> > -- Daniel

stu

subimage wrote:
> I haven't had issues with it before, but now I am...I go to install
> rubyzip via gems and I'm getting this on a fresh Debian box:
>
> -> sudo gem install rubyzip
> Attempting local installation of 'rubyzip'
> Local gem file not found: rubyzip*.gem
> Attempting remote installation of 'rubyzip'
> ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
> parse error on line 0, col 31: `!ruby/object:Gem::Specification '
>
> Anyone know what's going wrong?

i ran into this with ruby 1.8.2 but 1.8.4 worked fine installing it!
(tested with rubygems 8.whatever-last-versio and 9.0) under 1.8.2.
as soon as i put 1.8.4 on, the gem installed no problems.

-stu

subimage

I never did get it working, and I'm kind of locked into 1.8.2 as I'm
using it on all my Debian production servers :/

Anyone know a good way to upgrade to 1.8.4 when installed from apt-get?

stu wrote:
> subimage wrote:
> > I haven't had issues with it before, but now I am...I go to install
> > rubyzip via gems and I'm getting this on a fresh Debian box:
> >
> > -> sudo gem install rubyzip
> > Attempting local installation of 'rubyzip'
> > Local gem file not found: rubyzip*.gem
> > Attempting remote installation of 'rubyzip'
> > ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
> > parse error on line 0, col 31: `!ruby/object:Gem::Specification '
> >
> > Anyone know what's going wrong?

> i ran into this with ruby 1.8.2 but 1.8.4 worked fine installing it!
> (tested with rubygems 8.whatever-last-versio and 9.0) under 1.8.2.
> as soon as i put 1.8.4 on, the gem installed no problems.
>
> -stu

John Gabriele

On 7/26/06, subimage <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I never did get it working, and I'm kind of locked into 1.8.2 as I'm
> using it on all my Debian production servers :/
>
> Anyone know a good way to upgrade to 1.8.4 when installed from apt-get?

Well, you might just install 1.8.4 into someplace like
/opt/ruby-1.8.4, and then use the equivs package to convince apt that
you indeed do have Ruby installed and don't need the default Ruby
available via apt-get.

Or you might just 'apt-get remove' everything Ruby on your system and
then manually install Ruby from source. Add RubyGems, and then 'gem
install' the rest of the stuff you need. Although this is a manual
process, it's pretty quick, so may be an option for you if you don't
have too many servers to worry about.

---John

Thomas Sondergaard

stu wrote:

> i ran into this with ruby 1.8.2 but 1.8.4 worked fine installing it!
> (tested with rubygems 8.whatever-last-versio and 9.0) under 1.8.2.
> as soon as i put 1.8.4 on, the gem installed no problems.
>
> -stu

Odd. I just tried installing the gem myself (I'm the author) on an older
1.8.2 system and got the same error. I have no clue what the problem is,
but now I've rebuild the gem on the 1.8.2 system and uploaded it to
sourceforge.

Sorry about the inconvenience

Thomas

Thomas Sondergaard

Thomas Sondergaard wrote:
> ... and uploaded it to sourceforge.

and rubyforge so you should be able to get it with gem install rubyzip.

Cheers,

Thomas

Rake doesn't recognise that rubyzip gem is installed Max Williams Ruby 1 03-08-2010 03:09 PM
Gem install of rubyzip working, but not. Nathan Loyer Ruby 3 07-25-2008 07:24 PM
Can't install//use the scrubyt gem? LoadError: no such file to load-- parse_tree_reloaded. What did I wrong with installing this gem? kazaam Ruby 1 08-29-2007 02:42 PM
Problems with Rubyzip billbell52 Ruby 0 06-21-2007 09:37 PM
RubyGems 0.9.1 calling a gem with gem '<gem>' Austin 7873 Ruby 5 01-27-2007 10:05 PM

Advertisments