Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Re: ASPX Page Timeout - Session Timeout

Re: ASPX Page Timeout - Session Timeout

bruce barker

see >>

"DavidS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> First: There are several ways to confuse one regarding session timeout.
> (1) web.config - <sessionState timeout="20">

>> default session timeout for site

> (2) IIS Manager | Internet Information Services | ServerNode | Default Web

Site |
> Properties | Configuration | Options | Enable Session State
> Session timeout 20

>> nothing to do with .net - classic asp session timeout

> (3) within Global.asax.vb file - Session_Start subroutine can use
> Session.Timeout=x minutes or

>> overriding the default session timeout at session start

> (4) within any web page, i.e., <web page>.aspx can use

Session.Timeout=value
> Second: Problem I'm having is understanding what controls what!

Basically, I need the capability for most data entry aspx web pages to be
say 20 minutes timeout. One other data entry aspx web page I would like to
be 60 minutes. I'm having a problem doing this.

>> overriding current session timeout

> Question(1) - Can you dynamically vary the session timeout for different

aspx web pages - and if so HOW would I do this.

>> do it on the page, note once changed, it stays changed until the next

session

> Question(2) - Where can I understand BEST the relationship between all the

ways to change the timeout values - i.e., does each method discussed above
work to change the session timeout.

> PLEASE ADVISE.

ASP.Confused

From my understanding, page level changes to the session state override
everything else, and web.config controls the default timeout.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> see >>
>

> "DavidS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > First: There are several ways to confuse one regarding session timeout.
> > (1) web.config - <sessionState timeout="20">

> >> default session timeout for site

> > (2) IIS Manager | Internet Information Services | ServerNode | Default

Web
> Site |
> > Properties | Configuration | Options | Enable Session State
> > Session timeout 20

> >> nothing to do with .net - classic asp session timeout

> > (3) within Global.asax.vb file - Session_Start subroutine can use
> > Session.Timeout=x minutes or

> >> overriding the default session timeout at session start

> > (4) within any web page, i.e., <web page>.aspx can use

> Session.Timeout=value
> > Second: Problem I'm having is understanding what controls what!

> Basically, I need the capability for most data entry aspx web pages to be
> say 20 minutes timeout. One other data entry aspx web page I would like

> be 60 minutes. I'm having a problem doing this.
>
> >> overriding current session timeout

> > Question(1) - Can you dynamically vary the session timeout for different

> aspx web pages - and if so HOW would I do this.
>
> >> do it on the page, note once changed, it stays changed until the next

> session
>
> > Question(2) - Where can I understand BEST the relationship between all

the
> ways to change the timeout values - i.e., does each method discussed above
> work to change the session timeout.
>
> > PLEASE ADVISE.

ASP.Confused

Read this...it may help:
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Web/Q_20911575.html

"DavidS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bruce:
>
> Before I composed this newsletter to assistance, I did do the following...
>
> I had one Page_Load sub of ASPX web page with Session.Timeout = 20.
> I had another Page_Load sub of ASPX web page with Session.Timeout = 60.
>
> There were 2 ways I could do this - I assumed either in code-behind /

aspx.vb Page_Load or in HTML - JavaScript. I tried both and here is what
happens.

> In both instances - I always get default that is also in the web.config of

20 minutes.
> Is there an example of where two pages timeout with different settings. I

also attempted to put the <% Session.Timeout=20 %> or <% Session.Timeout=60
%> in Header section of web page - <script JavaScript>.

> I basically keep getting 20 minutes ALWAYS FOR ALL PAGES.
>
> What AM I MISSING or HAVE I OVERLOOKED - AGAIN - THIS IS WHY I ASKED MY

QUESTIONS THE WAY I DID...