Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Reasonably priced C11 standard?

Reasonably priced C11 standard?

Keith Thompson

James Kuyper <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> On 02/13/2012 07:58 AM, Nick Keighley wrote:
>> wow. The only reason my previous company had a copy of the C Standard
>> is because we asked the complier implementor for some documentation
>> for his compiler and that's what he sent us. ...

> So the implementor didn't have (or wasn't willing to give you) a copy of
> the documenting listing that implementation's choice on matters that are
> implementation-defined? Did you have any leverage to insist on getting
> such a document (assuming it even existed)?

Especially consider that the sent you a copy of the document
(on paper?) that explicitly requires the implementation to be
accompanied by such documentation (last paragraph of section 4 in
all three released ISO C standards).

[...]

Will write code for food.

Keith Thompson

Nick Keighley <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> On Feb 8, 11:04*pm, Keith Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Walter Banks <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

[...]
>> > *But if I want to run conformance test suites on a new compiler then
>> > a test *suite company can specify that is is using a specific standards
>> > document as the basis of the test suites and the standards organization
>> > is responsible for selling the same document to the test suite vendor
>> > and I and all others who purchase the standards documents. The
>> > difference is the standards documents can all be traced back to a specific
>> > document. For users who need that professionally the fees are very
>> > low cost compared to finding out that a single but important sentence
>> > was different between two copies.

>> Surely a published checksum or PGP signature on the PDF file would serve
>> that purpose.

> that wouldn't tell you /what/ had changed

No, it wouldn't. If anything at all has changed, it's not the standard,
and in most cases that's all you need to know.

Will write code for food.

Jorgen Grahn

On Mon, 2012-02-13, Nick Keighley wrote:
> The only copy of the C++ standard I've ever seen is one I paid for
> myself. It's worrying the number of old editions of Stroustrup you see
> in work places. The language changed significantly enough that these
> are actually wrong.

I recently found the Annotated C++ Reference Manual (1990) at work.
Flipped it open, and found a Post-it with a warning message on the
title page. My memory is short; I wrote that Post-it myself last time
I saw the book lying around.

A previous coworker used a pre-ANSI edition K&R to prop up his
monitor. It felt wrong, but I guess I wouldn't want to see him use it
as a reference either.

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .

Fritz Wuehler

Patrick Scheible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Nick Keighley <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> > I think standards should be sold for cost of distribution. In a sense
> > not making them freely available makes them less useful.

> It certainly does, but where should the ISO's budget come from?

We also pay member dues to add insult to injury! In addition they get
government grants and and sponsorships from members and they sell
publications related to their own programs (not any specific standard).

> They
> need some staff to set up conferences, distribute publications, sysadmin
> to run their web site, etc. Open to ideas,

> -- Patrick

Kaz Kylheku

On 2012-02-13, James Kuyper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 02/13/2012 07:08 AM, Nick Keighley wrote:

>> I think standards should be sold for cost of distribution. In a sense
>> not making them freely available makes them less useful.

> If the sales of standard should only cover the costs of distribution,
> who do you think should pay the costs of developing the standards in the
> first place?

Those who make a hobby of screwing up the language should pay for the cost,
and be held liable for the damages.

Deirdre Deirdre is offline
Junior Member

According to Tom Plum: "The new standard can be ordered at webstore.ansi.org (search for "ISO/IEC 9899:2011"). It is now available in PDF, but it costs $285 (as does the 2011 revision of C++). Once these standards have been adopted as U.S. National Standards by ANSI (within a few months), that price will drop to about $30"

http://drdobbs.com/cpp/232800444