Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Reasonably priced C11 standard?

Reasonably priced C11 standard?

Ben Pfaff

> INCITS understands that the potential market for computer language
> standards is much larger than that for other standards, particularly if
> priced reasonably. Since the production and distribution cost of an
> electronic document is essentially nil, they figured they'd make a lot
> more money selling them cheaply than expensively, which is what they've
> been doing. As far as I know, it's worked out even better than they'd
> hoped.

Did they change that policy for 9899:2011? Or does that mean
that they are going to lower the C11 price from $228 to something
more reasonable, then?
--
"A lesson for us all: Even in trivia there are traps."
--Eric Sosman

Keith Thompson

Fritz Wuehler <(E-Mail Removed)>
writes:
>> He did specify that he was looking for legal copies.

> Well that's a fine point. It will be a *copy* of a legal copy. Will that
> work for you? Works for me!

Absolutely not.

(BTW, I posted here by accident, and re-posted to comp.std.c where this
is more topical. There was some discussion there.)

Will write code for food.

lawrence.jones@siemens.com

Ben Pfaff <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) writes:
>
> > INCITS understands that the potential market for computer language
> > standards is much larger than that for other standards, particularly if
> > priced reasonably. Since the production and distribution cost of an
> > electronic document is essentially nil, they figured they'd make a lot
> > more money selling them cheaply than expensively, which is what they've
> > been doing. As far as I know, it's worked out even better than they'd
> > hoped.

> Did they change that policy for 9899:2011? Or does that mean
> that they are going to lower the C11 price from $228 to something
> more reasonable, then?

The $228 document is the ISO document that they're reselling -- I think
most of that money goes to ISO. Once it's adopted as an ANSI standard,
NCITS has the right to produce and sell their own version, which should
be reasonably priced. I'm not sure how long it takes to grind through
the administrative process until that happens, but nothing is done
quickly in the standards world.
--
Larry Jones

I think we need to change the rules. -- Calvin

Rui Maciel

James Kuyper wrote:

> He did specify that he was looking for legal copies.

If it is exclusively for personal use and doesn't have a noticeable impact
on the sale of the work of art, in some jurisdictions a copy downloaded from
anywhere is as "legal" as any other copy.

Rui Maciel

lawrence.jones@siemens.com

William Ahern <william@wilbur.25thandclement.com> wrote:

> I've purchased several different ISO standards in the past few years, and
> they've all been approximately 238CHF on both the ISO and ANSI websites. My
> guess is that's the standard price for the most recent version of a single
> software standard document.

The price is determined by the page count (not per page but by ranges).
Most software standards probably fall into the same bucket.
--
Larry Jones

Whatever it is, it's driving me crazy! -- Calvin

Keith Thompson

(E-Mail Removed) writes:
> William Ahern <william@wilbur.25thandclement.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've purchased several different ISO standards in the past few years, and
>> they've all been approximately 238CHF on both the ISO and ANSI websites. My
>> guess is that's the standard price for the most recent version of a single
>> software standard document.

> The price is determined by the page count (not per page but by ranges).
> Most software standards probably fall into the same bucket.

It's a PDF. Surely it could be configured as a single page 8.5 inches
wide and 642 feet 7 inches long (length based on N1570 draft).

Will write code for food.

BartC

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) writes:
>> William Ahern <william@wilbur.25thandclement.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've purchased several different ISO standards in the past few years,
>>> and
>>> they've all been approximately 238CHF on both the ISO and ANSI websites.
>>> My
>>> guess is that's the standard price for the most recent version of a
>>> single
>>> software standard document.

>> The price is determined by the page count (not per page but by ranges).
>> Most software standards probably fall into the same bucket.

> It's a PDF. Surely it could be configured as a single page 8.5 inches
> wide and 642 feet 7 inches long (length based on N1570 draft).

That would be too unwieldy. You just have to use one normal-sized page (eg.
A4 or 8.5x11), but a microscopic font size.

--
Bart

Noob

Fritz Wuehler wrote:

> James Kuyper wrote:
>
>> He did specify that he was looking for legal copies.

> Well that's a fine point. It will be a *copy* of a legal copy.
> Will that work for you? Works for me!

In France, it is legal to provide a copy of a work protected by copyright
to anyone in one's "close circle" (as defined by case law) for personal use.

Some of you (mostly anglophones) have been brain-washed by "big media"(*)
and are waaay too docile when it comes to copyright.

(*) It's funny (in a sad way) that "big media" are the ACTUAL "thief"
in this story, pilfering and ransacking the public domain since $DEITY
invented the talking mouse.

Regards.

James Kuyper

On 02/06/2012 05:14 AM, Noob wrote:
> Fritz Wuehler wrote:
>
>> James Kuyper wrote:
>>
>>> He did specify that he was looking for legal copies.

>> Well that's a fine point. It will be a *copy* of a legal copy.
>> Will that work for you? Works for me!

> In France, it is legal to provide a copy of a work protected by copyright
> to anyone in one's "close circle" (as defined by case law) for personal use.

It's hard for me to believe that a perfect stranger whose only
connection to you is that he downloaded something that you made
available over the internet, could qualify as being in your "close
circle". If such a person did qualify, it would render copyright
meaningless.

> Some of you (mostly anglophones) have been brain-washed by "big media"(*)
> and are waaay too docile when it comes to copyright.

Some of us can use our own brains to understand the value of having
copyrights (and reasonable enforcement of same).
--
James Kuyper

Rui Maciel

James Kuyper wrote:

>> Some of you (mostly anglophones) have been brain-washed by "big media"(*)
>> and are waaay too docile when it comes to copyright.

> Some of us can use our own brains to understand the value of having
> copyrights (and reasonable enforcement of same).

Notice that being supportive of unauthorized distribution of copyrighted
works exclusively for personal use does not mean that one fails to
"understand the value of having copyrights".

Moreover, supporting the totalitarian control of copyrighted works as it is
demanded by distributors does by no mean implies that one "understands the
value of having copyrights". In fact, it demonstrates an appalling lack of
understanding on the role of copyright in a developed society, that only
benefits distributors and no one else. And this includes the very same
people who actually produce copyrighted works. Hence, the appropriate
"brain-washed" reference.

Rui Maciel