Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > What's up w/this group now that the gateway is back?

Reply
Thread Tools

What's up w/this group now that the gateway is back?

 
 
Kenosis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2006
We keep getting answers to posts but not the original post. Is there
any way to correct for this? I certainly learn more from answers to
questions, than just answers or thank you postings.

Ken

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Justin Collins
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2006
Kenosis wrote:
> We keep getting answers to posts but not the original post. Is there
> any way to correct for this? I certainly learn more from answers to
> questions, than just answers or thank you postings.
>
> Ken
>
>
>

I'm guessing they are from older threads?

-Justin

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jacob Fugal
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2006
On 7/7/06, Kenosis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> We keep getting answers to posts but not the original post. Is there
> any way to correct for this? I certainly learn more from answers to
> questions, than just answers or thank you postings.


As Justin said, they're from older posts. The restoration of the
gateway is not retroactive -- posts that had appeared on c.l.r. or the
mailing list prior to the restoration weren't flooded to the other
side, only new posts are ferried across. As the threads cut by the
restoration finish and new threads start, this "problem" will go away.


Jacob Fugal

 
Reply With Quote
 
James Edward Gray II
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2006
On Jul 7, 2006, at 3:51 PM, Jacob Fugal wrote:

> On 7/7/06, Kenosis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> We keep getting answers to posts but not the original post. Is there
>> any way to correct for this? I certainly learn more from answers to
>> questions, than just answers or thank you postings.

>
> As Justin said, they're from older posts. The restoration of the
> gateway is not retroactive -- posts that had appeared on c.l.r. or the
> mailing list prior to the restoration weren't flooded to the other
> side, only new posts are ferried across.


I considered going back in time a little to play catch-up, but I
figured I would get hate mail for the flooding and we would still
have the exact same problem. (We would just see the middle of older
threads.)

Given that, I figured the small adjustment period as we get back into
the discussions was the lesser evil. I agree this problem will
naturally solve itself in time.

James Edward Gray II


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jacob Fugal
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2006
On 7/7/06, James Edward Gray II <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I considered going back in time a little to play catch-up, but I
> figured I would get hate mail for the flooding and we would still
> have the exact same problem. (We would just see the middle of older
> threads.)


Exactly. I'm one of them. Well, I wouldn't have sent you hate mail,
but I might have grumbled a little under my breath.

And you're absolutely right, as long as the cut is rigid across a
point in time, you're not going to get a clean cut (barring extreme
luck). One option would have been to see all active threads (had a
response in the last 24 hours, for instance), and only copy the old
posts from those threads over... but I wouldn't wish the chore of
collecting those posts on anyone.

Jacob Fugal

 
Reply With Quote
 
Kenosis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2006
That makes sense and I agree that what were seeing now is better than
the alternative. Thanks for the explanations.

Ken

Jacob Fugal wrote:
> On 7/7/06, James Edward Gray II <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I considered going back in time a little to play catch-up, but I
> > figured I would get hate mail for the flooding and we would still
> > have the exact same problem. (We would just see the middle of older
> > threads.)

>
> Exactly. I'm one of them. Well, I wouldn't have sent you hate mail,
> but I might have grumbled a little under my breath.
>
> And you're absolutely right, as long as the cut is rigid across a
> point in time, you're not going to get a clean cut (barring extreme
> luck). One option would have been to see all active threads (had a
> response in the last 24 hours, for instance), and only copy the old
> posts from those threads over... but I wouldn't wish the chore of
> collecting those posts on anyone.
>
> Jacob Fugal


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
problem in running a basic code in python 3.3.0 that includes HTML file Satabdi Mukherjee Python 1 04-04-2013 07:48 PM
SMS gateway software, SMS gateway, SMS software, SMS server, SMPP software, WAP Push John Java 0 08-28-2007 05:53 AM
Skype Gateway,VoIP GSM Gateway,E1 GSM Channel bank Rebeccaliu VOIP 0 11-01-2006 02:16 PM
Edit Primary Gateway To Send Internet Traffic To Secondary Gateway Frank Cisco 3 09-30-2004 04:51 AM
SIP Gateway-To-Gateway Sample Consifuration Mohamad Eslami Cisco 1 05-25-2004 09:45 PM



Advertisments