Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Gateway Restored

Gateway Restored

James Edward Gray II

Welcome back friends from the other side!

We believe we have a working gateway between mailing list and
newsgroup once again. Please let me know if you notice any missing
messages.

We need to thank:

* Dave Thomas who wrote the original code in 2001 that I only needed
to update a little to relaunch.
* Dennis Oelkers who was keeper of the gateway for so long and taught
us enough to take up the torch.
* Fred Senault who donated the newsgroup account we are using to
manage the comp.lang.ruby side of things.
* HighGroove Studos who is now hosting the gateway script.
HighGroove employee Charles Brian Quinn was essential in getting this
running again.

Without all of the above, there would be no gateway. My thanks to
you all!

James Edward Gray II

ara.t.howard@noaa.gov

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006, James Edward Gray II wrote:

> Welcome back friends from the other side!
>
> We believe we have a working gateway between mailing list and newsgroup once
> again. Please let me know if you notice any missing messages.
>
> We need to thank:
>
> * Dave Thomas who wrote the original code in 2001 that I only needed to
> update a little to relaunch.
> * Dennis Oelkers who was keeper of the gateway for so long and taught us
> enough to take up the torch.
> * Fred Senault who donated the newsgroup account we are using to manage the
> comp.lang.ruby side of things.
> * HighGroove Studos who is now hosting the gateway script. HighGroove
> employee Charles Brian Quinn was essential in getting this running again.
>
> Without all of the above, there would be no gateway. My thanks to you all!
>
> James Edward Gray II

james-

i know we all appreciate this - thanks so much!

-a
--
suffering increases your inner strength. also, the wishing for suffering
makes the suffering disappear.

Robert Klemme

2006/7/7, James Edward Gray II <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> Welcome back friends from the other side!
>
> We believe we have a working gateway between mailing list and
> newsgroup once again. Please let me know if you notice any missing
> messages.
>
> We need to thank:
>
> * Dave Thomas who wrote the original code in 2001 that I only needed
> to update a little to relaunch.
> * Dennis Oelkers who was keeper of the gateway for so long and taught
> us enough to take up the torch.
> * Fred Senault who donated the newsgroup account we are using to
> manage the comp.lang.ruby side of things.
> * HighGroove Studos who is now hosting the gateway script.
> HighGroove employee Charles Brian Quinn was essential in getting this
> running again.
>
> Without all of the above, there would be no gateway. My thanks to
> you all!

Applause! And many thanks!

robert

Martin DeMello

On 7/7/06, James Edward Gray II <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Welcome back friends from the other side!

great work!! ironically, i finally gave in and joined the mailing list
a couple of days ago (:

martin

transfire@gmail.com

I'm sorry I just have to piont how when I originally suggested that the
gateway be fixed, first I was ignored. Then when I insisted, I was
ridiculed by posters saying essentially "we don't need no stinking
gateway", "let the two forums have their own independent life", and "we
don't want those nuby posts on the mailing list", etc. I worked to get
something up, but ran in to too much resistance and eventually let it
go. Now it's back up and everybody's singing praises. Mahatma Gandhi
was right!

Too Funny!

Good work James.

T.

James Edward Gray II

On Jul 7, 2006, at 1:31 PM, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I worked to get something up, but ran in to too much resistance and
> eventually let it go.

I'm harder to deter. *I* wanted the gateway back, so I put it back.
It existed for years, it's part of the mailing list agreement, etc.,
so I figured at least someone out there agreed with me.

James Edward Gray II

Jacob Fugal

On 7/7/06, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "we don't want those nuby posts on the mailing list"

As far as I remember, this sentiment only ever came up with regards to
that *other* gateway. I can't imagine any from the mailing-list side
of the gateway feeling that way about the denizens of c.l.r.

Jacob Fugal

gabriele renzi

James Edward Gray II ha scritto:
> Welcome back friends from the other side!
>
> We believe we have a working gateway between mailing list and newsgroup
> once again. Please let me know if you notice any missing messages.

hooray!

<snip>

> Without all of the above, there would be no gateway. My thanks to you
> all!

I can't even start to say how much I'm thankful

Hans Fugal

James Edward Gray II wrote:
> Welcome back friends from the other side!

Many many many thanks! It's so good to be back. And next time the
gateway goes down (may it be a long time) let's all remember to at least
consult the comp.lang.ruby citizens before (or after) deciding it's not
worth fixing. Thanks again James!