Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > returning the selected value of a listbox control inside a user control - please urgent!

returning the selected value of a listbox control inside a user control - please urgent!

Moe Sizlak

Hi There,

I am trying to return the value of a listbox control that is included as a
user control, I can return the name of the control but I can't access the
integer value of the selected item, what do I need to do in order to return
the "option value" of the control?

Moe

!--- returned value of the control

_ctl1_lstCategorie

!-- compiled page code

<select name="_ctl1:lstCategorie" size="1"
onchange="__doPostBack('_ctl1$lstCategorie','')" language="javascript"
id="_ctl1_lstCategorie">
<option value="0">-- Choose a Category --</option>
<option value="6">...Control Valves
....</option>
<option value="10">...Dripline
....</option>
</select>

!--- page code
<%@ Control Language="vb" EnableViewState="true" %>

<% @Import Namespace="System.Data" %>
<% @Import Namespace="System.Data.SqlClient" %>

Public Sub Page_Load(sender as Object, e as EventArgs)

Public ReadOnly Property SelectedCategoriesID As String
Get
return lstCategorie.ClientID
End Get
End Property

If Not Page.IsPostBack Then
BindStates()
LoadCategories()

response.write (lstCategorie.ClientID)

end if
End Sub

Public Sub LoadCategories()
Try
Dim myConnection as New
SqlConnection(ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("c onnectionString"))
Const strSQL as String = "SELECT CategoryID, '...' + CategoryDesc + '...'
AS CategoryDesc " & _
"FROM tblProductCategories ORDER BY CategoryDesc"
Dim myCommand as New SqlCommand(strSQL, myConnection)
myConnection.Open()
Dim objDR as SqlDataReader
objDR = myCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior.CloseConne ction)
lstCategorie.DataSource = objDR
lstCategorie.DataBind()
lstCategorie.Items.Insert(0, new ListItem("-- Choose a Category --","0"))

Catch ex as InvalidCastException
Status.Text = ex.ToString()

Catch ex As SqlException
Status.Text = "Database error: " & ex.message

Catch ex As Exception
Status.Text = "General error: " & ex.message
End Try

End Sub

!---page code

size="1" color="#FFFFFF">Browse
:</font></div>

<asp:listbox id="lstCategorie" runat="server" Rows="1"
AutoPostBack="true"
DataTextField="CategoryDesc" DataValueField="CategoryID" />

Mike Smith

list controls have a SelectedText and a SelectedValue property... u can use
both actually

ListName.SelectedText.Value
or
ListName.SelectedValue

SelectedText.Text gives u the selected text on the listbox

--
Regards,
Mike

"Moe Sizlak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi There,
>
> I am trying to return the value of a listbox control that is included as a
> user control, I can return the name of the control but I can't access the
> integer value of the selected item, what do I need to do in order to

return
> the "option value" of the control?
>
> Moe
>
> !--- returned value of the control
>
> _ctl1_lstCategorie
>

> !-- compiled page code
>
> <select name="_ctl1:lstCategorie" size="1"
> onchange="__doPostBack('_ctl1$lstCategorie','')" language="javascript"
> id="_ctl1_lstCategorie">
> <option value="0">-- Choose a Category --</option>
> <option value="6">...Control Valves
> ...</option>
> <option value="10">...Dripline
> ...</option>
> </select>
>

> !--- page code
> <%@ Control Language="vb" EnableViewState="true" %>
>
> <% @Import Namespace="System.Data" %>
> <% @Import Namespace="System.Data.SqlClient" %>
>
> Public Sub Page_Load(sender as Object, e as EventArgs)
>
> Public ReadOnly Property SelectedCategoriesID As String
> Get
> return lstCategorie.ClientID
> End Get
> End Property
>
> If Not Page.IsPostBack Then
> BindStates()
> LoadCategories()
>

> response.write (lstCategorie.ClientID)
>
> end if
> End Sub
>
> Public Sub LoadCategories()
> Try
> Dim myConnection as New
> SqlConnection(ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("c onnectionString"))
> Const strSQL as String = "SELECT CategoryID, '...' + CategoryDesc +

'...'
> AS CategoryDesc " & _
> "FROM tblProductCategories ORDER BY CategoryDesc"
> Dim myCommand as New SqlCommand(strSQL, myConnection)
> myConnection.Open()
> Dim objDR as SqlDataReader
> objDR = myCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior.CloseConne ction)
> lstCategorie.DataSource = objDR
> lstCategorie.DataBind()
> lstCategorie.Items.Insert(0, new ListItem("-- Choose a

Category --","0"))

> Catch ex as InvalidCastException
> Status.Text = ex.ToString()
>
> Catch ex As SqlException
> Status.Text = "Database error: " & ex.message
>
> Catch ex As Exception
> Status.Text = "General error: " & ex.message
> End Try
>
> End Sub
>
> !---page code

height="20">

sans-serif"
> [...]

> SqlConnection(ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("c onnectionString"))
> Const strSQL as String = "SELECT CategoryID, '...' + CategoryDesc +

'...'
> AS CategoryDesc " & _
> "FROM tblProductCategories ORDER BY CategoryDesc"
> Dim myCommand as New SqlCommand(strSQL, myConnection)
> myConnection.Open()
> Dim objDR as SqlDataReader
> objDR = myCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior.CloseConne ction)
> lstCategorie.DataSource = objDR
> lstCategorie.DataBind()
> lstCategorie.Items.Insert(0, new ListItem("-- Choose a

Category --","0"))

> Catch ex as InvalidCastException
> Status.Text = ex.ToString()
>
> Catch ex As SqlException
> Status.Text = "Database error: " & ex.message
>
> Catch ex As Exception
> Status.Text = "General error: " & ex.message

height="20">

sans-serif"
> size="1" color="#FFFFFF">Browse
> :</font></div>

> <asp:listbox id="lstCategorie" runat="server" Rows="1"
> AutoPostBack="true"
> DataTextField="CategoryDesc" DataValueField="CategoryID" />

Moe Sizlak

Hi Mike,

I have tried this and it returns 2 different results:
for
lstCategorie.SelectedText.Value
BC30456: 'SelectedText' is not a member of
'System.Web.UI.WebControls.ListBox'.

for
lstCategorie.SelectedValue
I get nothing at all from the control

Any other ideas?

Moe

"Mike Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> > objDR = myCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior.CloseConne ction)
> > lstCategorie.DataSource = objDR
> > lstCategorie.DataBind()
> > lstCategorie.Items.Insert(0, new ListItem("-- Choose a

> Category --","0"))
> >
> > Catch ex as InvalidCastException
> > Status.Text = ex.ToString()
> >
> > Catch ex As SqlException
> > Status.Text = "Database error: " & ex.message
> >
> > Catch ex As Exception
> > Status.Text = "General error: " & ex.message
> > End Try
> >
> > End Sub
> >
> > !---page code

> height="20">

> sans-serif"
> > size="1" color="#FFFFFF">Browse
> > :</font></div>

> > <asp:listbox id="lstCategorie" runat="server" Rows="1"
> > AutoPostBack="true"
> > DataTextField="CategoryDesc" DataValueField="CategoryID"

/>

> [...]

> > objDR = myCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior.CloseConne ction)
> > lstCategorie.DataSource = objDR
> > lstCategorie.DataBind()
> > lstCategorie.Items.Insert(0, new ListItem("-- Choose a

> Category --","0"))
> >
> > Catch ex as InvalidCastException
> > Status.Text = ex.ToString()
> >
> > Catch ex As SqlException
> > Status.Text = "Database error: " & ex.message
> >
> > Catch ex As Exception
> > Status.Text = "General error: " & ex.message
> > End Try
> >
> > End Sub
> >
> > !---page code

> height="20">

> sans-serif"
> > size="1" color="#FFFFFF">Browse
> > :</font></div>

> > <asp:listbox id="lstCategorie" runat="server" Rows="1"
> > AutoPostBack="true"
> > DataTextField="CategoryDesc" DataValueField="CategoryID"

geez sorry i must have dozed off !
its SelectedItem.Text and SelectedItem.Value
there is no SelectText.. i merged it myself.. hahahahaha.. sorry..

Response.Write(ListBox1.SelectedItem.Value)

Response.Write(ListBox1.SelectedItem.Text)

Response.Write(ListBox1.SelectedValue.ToString)

--
> [...]

> > > myConnection.Open()
> > > Dim objDR as SqlDataReader
> > > objDR = myCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior.CloseConne ction)
> > > lstCategorie.DataSource = objDR
> > > lstCategorie.DataBind()
> > > lstCategorie.Items.Insert(0, new ListItem("-- Choose a

> > Category --","0"))
> > >
> > > Catch ex as InvalidCastException
> > > Status.Text = ex.ToString()
> > >
> > > Catch ex As SqlException
> > > Status.Text = "Database error: " & ex.message
> > >
> > > Catch ex As Exception
> > > Status.Text = "General error: " & ex.message
> > > End Try
> > >
> > > End Sub
> > >
> > > !---page code

> > height="20">

> > sans-serif"
> > > size="1" color="#FFFFFF">Browse
> > > :</font></div>

> > > <asp:listbox id="lstCategorie" runat="server" Rows="1"

---

Moe Sizlak

Hi Mike,

if I use:
response.write (lstCategorie.SelectedItem.Value)
I get the error:

if I use:
response.write (lstCategorie.SelectedItem.Text)
I get the erorr:

if I use:
response.write (lstCategorie.SelectedValue.ToString)
I get nothing

Any other ideas?

+
> > > '...'
> > > Category --","0"))

> > > height="20">

> > > sans-serif"

> DataValueField="CategoryID"
> > />

> > > list controls have a SelectedText and a SelectedValue property... u

can
> > use
> > > both actually
> > >
> > > ListName.SelectedText.Value
> > > or
> > > ListName.SelectedValue
> > >
> > > SelectedText.Text gives u the selected text on the listbox
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > > Mike
> > > http://bikesh.europe.webmatrixhosting.net
> > > http://www.planetsourcecode.com (search keyword: phoetus)
> > >
> > > "Moe Sizlak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

included
> as

access
> > the
> > > return

language="javascript"

+
> > > '...'
> > > Category --","0"))

> > > height="20">

> > > sans-serif"

> DataValueField="CategoryID"
> > />

> ---

Listbox move multiple selected items to second listbox K B ASP .Net 2 01-08-2007 11:16 AM
Accessing USER CONTROL which is inside Masterpagethrough Another USER Control inside normal page. Kiran More ASP .Net Web Controls 2 11-14-2006 12:58 PM
unable to get selected value of listbox control when clicking button? Joey ASP .Net 2 08-04-2004 02:09 PM
Listbox Selected Value Big E ASP .Net 3 07-26-2004 04:24 PM
Listbox Control Not Returning Selected Values Matthew Sajdera ASP .Net 1 04-12-2004 09:10 PM

Advertisments