Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Rails from the command line

Rails from the command line

Bucco

I have been reading "Ruby for Rails". There is a section in the book
that talks about running rails without a webserver. This was done
either by loading the environment into irb, or by running scripts that
have the line:

require 'config/environment'

I thought this to be a neat idea for putting together ruby apps with
dbs. Does anyone know of further information on this subject?

Thanks

SA

Dave Burt

Bucco wrote:
> I have been reading "Ruby for Rails". There is a section in the book
> that talks about running rails without a webserver. This was done
> either by loading the environment into irb, or by running scripts that
> have the line:
>
> require 'config/environment'
>
> I thought this to be a neat idea for putting together ruby apps with
> dbs. Does anyone know of further information on this subject?

Rails is a web app framework, and if you're not doing a web app, you're
not going to find most of it terribly useful. But ActiveRecord is a
generally useful database interface.

Check out the Rails wiki's page on using ActiveRecord without Rails.

Cheers,
Dave

Martin Nemzow

You might also try FXFox to build a standard desktop GUI and end up with an
application that runs on Windows, Linux, etc instead of using Java or .NET.
and looks just like it. Basically, what I see is that RoR is a framework for
SOA with a language (Ruby) that makes most IDEs and languages look really
old and tired. If you want to write once and run anywhere, Ruby seems to be
the real ticket.

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...