Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Benckmarking Ruby on Rails, Django, Perl

Benckmarking Ruby on Rails, Django, Perl

matt@e-titans.co.uk

Hi I would like to test the performance of Ruby on Rails by creating a
benchmarking program or two.

This is for my project at uni. I am also wanting to run the similar
test on Django and Perl.

I have seen the Computer Language Shootout website which has a start-up
benchmark test for perl, ruby and python but nothing for these
frameworks.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how to create a benchmark
test which would test how many times an application could be launched
in Ruby on Rails. Any help would be appreciated.

Failing that some ideas on how to create a benchmark which shows the
difference in performance between the different frameworks would be
great.

Thanks for any help on the matter, again it would be most appreciated.

Regards

Matt

Gene Tani

> Hi I would like to test the performance of Ruby on Rails by creating a
> benchmarking program or two.
>
> This is for my project at uni. I am also wanting to run the similar
> test on Django and Perl.
>
> I have seen the Computer Language Shootout website which has a start-up
> benchmark test for perl, ruby and python but nothing for these
> frameworks.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how to create a benchmark
> test which would test how many times an application could be launched
> in Ruby on Rails. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Failing that some ideas on how to create a benchmark which shows the
> difference in performance between the different frameworks would be
> great.
>
> Thanks for any help on the matter, again it would be most appreciated.

the pet shop is a pretty popular web app to port

http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/compare/petshop.aspx

stijn

Quick! hide this thread before mr. Gouy and mr. Ziegler find it!
*ducks*
s.

matt@e-titans.co.uk

thanks for that little post matey helped a bit.

I was just wondering though how it would be possible to test the
performance of Ruby on Rails, mainly its startup speed and how many
database transactions it can perform. I guess my quest continues

matt@e-titans.co.uk

Why have I done something bad?

gabriele renzi

(E-Mail Removed) ha scritto:
> Why have I done something bad?

not really, stijin was just making of fun of a lot of traffic generated
about benchamrks in the past, you can look it up on google

stijn

> Why have I done something bad?

of course not, 't was just a silly remark, don't worry... ahem.
s.

matt@e-titans.co.uk

Ahh thanks, Any particular search phrase that would help me create a
benchmark program for ruby on rails? The ones on computer language
shootout website look too hard to convert to rails. I was just hoping
for something simple like how many times it can query a database within
a given timescale say an hour or two.

Again any help greatly appreciated and thanks for the comments so far,
the quest continues.

Matt

gabriele renzi

(E-Mail Removed) ha scritto:
> Ahh thanks, Any particular search phrase that would help me create a
> benchmark program for ruby on rails? The ones on computer language
> shootout website look too hard to convert to rails. I was just hoping
> for something simple like how many times it can query a database within
> a given timescale say an hour or two.

I guess that you could use "ab" from the apache utils to benchmark the
number of pages/seconds that you're able to obtain from a given
configuration, once you can replicate the same example pages, i.e.
serving a pure "view" thing, serving a page that extracts a fixed
number of results from a database, or whatever.

A nice site to look may be pyweboff[1] which compares various
implementations of the same application with different python
frameworks, but it does not include performance measurements, I believe.

[1] http://www.third-bit.com/pyweb/index.html

matt@e-titans.co.uk

Thats excellent thank you so much I will look into that tonight.

Many Thanks.