Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Subscribing to mailing list

Subscribing to mailing list

Meador Inge

Hello All,

I am having trouble subscribing to the ruby-talk mailing list (I am
using google groups right now). At one point in time I was subscribed,
but then I unsubscribed. When I recently tried to subscribe again I got
no response from the mail controller. I have tried sending 'help' and
'status' commands, but no luck. I also tried mailing the administrator
(twice), but no reply (my mail may have never gotten through?). Has any
one had similiar problems? Help with this issue would be greatly
appreciated.

--Meador

Robert Klemme

Meador Inge wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am having trouble subscribing to the ruby-talk mailing list (I am
> using google groups right now). At one point in time I was subscribed,
> but then I unsubscribed. When I recently tried to subscribe again I got
> no response from the mail controller. I have tried sending 'help' and
> 'status' commands, but no luck. I also tried mailing the administrator
> (twice), but no reply (my mail may have never gotten through?). Has any
> one had similiar problems? Help with this issue would be greatly
> appreciated.

It seems you are confusing news and email: on one hand you talk about
the ruby-talk mailing list and then you say that you use google groups
(= news) to subscribe to it. Could that be the cause of your "problem"?

Kind regards

robert

Meador Inge

> It seems you are confusing news and email: on one hand you talk about
> the ruby-talk mailing list and then you say that you use google groups
> (= news) to subscribe to it. Could that be the cause of your "problem"?

What I meant by 'using google groups right now' was that I was using
google groups to view the contents of "ruby-talk"* and post my current
message. I understand the difference between the newsgroup and the
mailing list. I have been using google groups from sometime know and
have grown tired of it. I would like to be subscribed to the actual
mailing list.

--Meador

* From what I understand ruby-talk and comp.lang.ruby are replicated to
one another.

Robert Klemme

Meador Inge wrote:
>> It seems you are confusing news and email: on one hand you talk about
>> the ruby-talk mailing list and then you say that you use google groups
>> (= news) to subscribe to it. Could that be the cause of your "problem"?

> What I meant by 'using google groups right now' was that I was using
> google groups to view the contents of "ruby-talk"* and post my current
> message. I understand the difference between the newsgroup and the
> mailing list. I have been using google groups from sometime know and
> have grown tired of it. I would like to be subscribed to the actual
> mailing list.

Ah, ok.

> * From what I understand ruby-talk and comp.lang.ruby are replicated to
> one another.

That's true - sort of. The gateway doesn't work very good.
Unfortunately I have no other advice than what you did already (try to
subscribe again, contact list admin). An additional alternative might
be to use a different email address (if only for testing purposes).

Cheers

robert