Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > DBD::ODBC looks in /etc not /usr/local/etc for odbc files

DBD::ODBC looks in /etc not /usr/local/etc for odbc files

Wes Gamble

All,

I had installed the freetds and unixODBC packages onto my Linux system
using RPMs.

These RPMs installed these two packages into / basically (config files
in /etc, libraries in /lib and so forth).

However, when I discovered that they weren't working, I gave up on the
RPMs and built the packages myself into /usr/local (config files in
/usr/local/etc, libraries in /usr/local/lib and so forth).

I then installed ruby-odbc and ruby-dbi (with the ODBC driver).

What I'm finding is that when I attempt to use the DBD::ODBC package to
connect to my database, the config. files are still being referenced
from /etc instead of /usr/local/etc.

How do I "make" the Ruby modules look in /usr/local for the config files
instead of /etc?

I don't really understand how Ruby is generating it's path's internally.

Thanks,
Wes

Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido

You set the configuration files path when configuring unixODBC. Test
your ODBC connection with isql. Ruby ODBC only uses whatever was
configured in unixODBC.

2006/4/4, Wes Gamble <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> All,
>
> I had installed the freetds and unixODBC packages onto my Linux system
> using RPMs.
>
> These RPMs installed these two packages into / basically (config files
> in /etc, libraries in /lib and so forth).
>
> However, when I discovered that they weren't working, I gave up on the
> RPMs and built the packages myself into /usr/local (config files in
> /usr/local/etc, libraries in /usr/local/lib and so forth).
>
> I then installed ruby-odbc and ruby-dbi (with the ODBC driver).
>
> What I'm finding is that when I attempt to use the DBD::ODBC package to
> connect to my database, the config. files are still being referenced
> from /etc instead of /usr/local/etc.
>
> How do I "make" the Ruby modules look in /usr/local for the config files
> instead of /etc?
>
> I don't really understand how Ruby is generating it's path's internally.
>
> Thanks,
> Wes

Gerardo Santana
"Between individuals, as between nations, respect for the rights of
others is peace" - Don Benito Ju=E1rez
http://santanatechnotes.blogspot.com/