Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Possible RubyQuiz idea

Possible RubyQuiz idea

Hal Fulton

This might be too easy, it's JEG2's call.

Read in an ordinary crontab file and print out a list of
jobs that will run in the next N minutes.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Hal

Austin Ziegler

T24gNC8zLzA2LCBIYWwgRnVsdG9uIDxoYWw5MDAwQGh5cGVybW V0cmljcy5jb20+IHdyb3RlOgo+
IFRoaXMgbWlnaHQgYmUgdG9vIGVhc3ksIGl0J3MgSkVHMidzIG NhbGwuCj4KPiBSZWFkIGluIGFu
IG9yZGluYXJ5IGNyb250YWIgZmlsZSBhbmQgcHJpbnQgb3V0IG EgbGlzdCBvZgo+IGpvYnMgdGhh
dCB3aWxsIHJ1biBpbiB0aGUgbmV4dCBOIG1pbnV0ZXMuCgpGYW lybHkgZWFzeSwgYnV0IHdpdGgg
c29tZSBpbnRlcmVzdGluZyBlZGdlIGNhc2VzICh0ICsgTiBjcm 9zc2luZyBhbgpob3VyLCBkYXks
IG1vbnRoLCBvciB5ZWFyIGJvdW5kYXJ5OyBkZWFsaW5nIHdpdG ggbGVhcCB5ZWFyczsgZGVhbGlu
Zwp3aXRoIHN1bW1lciB0aW1lL3dpbnRlciB0aW1lIHN3aXRjaG VzKS4KCi1hdXN0aW4KLS0KQXVz
dGluIFppZWdsZXIgKiBoYWxvc3RhdHVlQGdtYWlsLmNvbQogIC AgICAgICAgICAgICAqIEFsdGVy
bmF0ZTogYXVzdGluQGhhbG9zdGF0dWUuY2EK

ara.t.howard@noaa.gov

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, Austin Ziegler wrote:

> On 4/3/06, Hal Fulton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> This might be too easy, it's JEG2's call.
>>
>> Read in an ordinary crontab file and print out a list of
>> jobs that will run in the next N minutes.

> Fairly easy, but with some interesting edge cases (t + N crossing an
> hour, day, month, or year boundary; dealing with leap years; dealing
> with summer time/winter time switches).

not to mention cron supports variables, ranges, wildcards, and lists!

-a
--
share your knowledge. it's a way to achieve immortality.
- h.h. the 14th dali lama

Robert Dober

------=_Part_13151_3969584.1144150202591

On 4/4/06, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, Austin Ziegler wrote:
>
> > On 4/3/06, Hal Fulton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> This might be too easy, it's JEG2's call.
> >>
> >> Read in an ordinary crontab file and print out a list of
> >> jobs that will run in the next N minutes.

> > Fairly easy, but with some interesting edge cases (t + N crossing an
> > hour, day, month, or year boundary; dealing with leap years; dealing
> > with summer time/winter time switches).

> not to mention cron supports variables, ranges, wildcards, and lists!
>

> -a
> --
> share your knowledge. it's a way to achieve immortality.
> - h.h. the 14th dali lama

Rewriting cron in ruby

--
Deux choses sont infinies : l'univers et la b=EAtise humaine ; en ce qui

- Albert Einstein

------=_Part_13151_3969584.1144150202591--

James Edward Gray II

On Apr 4, 2006, at 6:30 AM, Robert Dober wrote:

> Rewriting cron in ruby

Call me crazy, but that one sounds like fun to me.

James Edward Gray II

azrael@cream.org

On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 10:36:24PM +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote:
> On Apr 4, 2006, at 6:30 AM, Robert Dober wrote:
>
> >Rewriting cron in ruby

> Call me crazy, but that one sounds like fun to me.

You should aim high, and think "bigger than cron".

Create one convention-over-configuration Ruby program with Needles that
can replace crond, atd, init, supervise, inetd and anything else that
starts a program ever; make it supports port-proxying, lazy loading of services, signal handling, session-handling and automatic dependency discovery. *Then* you're talking.

Cron? Tchoh.

Martin

Zed Shaw

On 4/4/06 9:48 AM, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 10:36:24PM +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote:
>> On Apr 4, 2006, at 6:30 AM, Robert Dober wrote:
>>
>>> Rewriting cron in ruby

>> Call me crazy, but that one sounds like fun to me.

> You should aim high, and think "bigger than cron".
>
> Create one convention-over-configuration Ruby program with Needles that
> can replace crond, atd, init, supervise, inetd and anything else that
> starts a program ever; make it supports port-proxying, lazy loading of
> services, signal handling, session-handling and automatic dependency
> discovery. *Then* you're talking.
>
> Cron? Tchoh.

Then watch as people gleefully hack into the newly started
RubyCronolithOfTheGods.

Could be fun though.

Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/

pat eyler

On 4/4/06, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 10:36:24PM +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote:
> > On Apr 4, 2006, at 6:30 AM, Robert Dober wrote:
> >
> > >Rewriting cron in ruby

> > Call me crazy, but that one sounds like fun to me.

> You should aim high, and think "bigger than cron".
>
> Create one convention-over-configuration Ruby program with Needles that
> can replace crond, atd, init, supervise, inetd and anything else that
> starts a program ever; make it supports port-proxying, lazy loading of se=

rvices,
> signal handling, session-handling and automatic dependency discovery.
> *Then* you're talking.

Spend some time looking at CFEngine and CFRuby/libcf if you choose to
go down this path.

--
thanks,
-pate

azrael@cream.org

On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 11:25:06PM +0900, pat eyler wrote:
> On 4/4/06, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Call me crazy, but that one sounds like fun to me.

> > You should aim high, and think "bigger than cron".
> >
> > Create one convention-over-configuration Ruby program with Needles that
> > can replace crond, atd, init, supervise, inetd and anything else that
> > starts a program ever; make it supports port-proxying, lazy loading of services,
> > signal handling, session-handling and automatic dependency discovery.
> > *Then* you're talking.

> Spend some time looking at CFEngine and CFRuby/libcf if you choose to
> go down this path.

Ooh, this looks interesting.

Martin

Robert Dober

------=_Part_15835_6827943.1144162672743

On 4/4/06, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 10:36:24PM +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote:
> > On Apr 4, 2006, at 6:30 AM, Robert Dober wrote:
> >
> > >Rewriting cron in ruby

> > Call me crazy, but that one sounds like fun to me.

> You should aim high, and think "bigger than cron".
>
> Create one convention-over-configuration Ruby program with Needles that
> can replace crond, atd, init, supervise, inetd and anything else that
> starts a program ever; make it supports port-proxying, lazy loading of
> services, signal handling, session-handling and automatic dependency
> discovery. *Then* you're talking.
>
> Cron? Tchoh.
>
> Martin

Do not touch!!! This belongs to Hurd