Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Compile to exe to hide source code

Compile to exe to hide source code

Eric Boucher

Hi,

I want to hide my source code under Windows, so I tought that compiling
to an executable file would solve the problem. But I didn't found a way
to do it with Ruby. I have tried 2 solutions:
Exerb -- If you read the 'exe' file, you can see the source code directly.
Ruby2exe -- The complete source is copied temporarily under the %TEMP%
directory.

Does somebody have a way to deploy a file while hiding the source code?
I know that there is a decompiler for a lot of compilers, but I want to
be able to make it harder for people to see the source code (not as easy
as looking to a temporary directory or reading directly an 'exe' file).

Thanks

--
Posted with http://DevLists.com. Sign up and save your time!

zdennis

listrecv@gmail.com

Will the efforts at making a Ruby VM help here? I understand that Ruby
2.0 will use bytecode.

What about the current alternate implementations of Ruby (such as the
Java based ones, and the VM based ones) - could they help?