Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [ANN] One-Click Ruby Installer 184-16 release candidate 1 is available!

[ANN] One-Click Ruby Installer 184-16 release candidate 1 is available!

Curt Hibbs

The release file has been uploaded to RubyForge but may not be
available for an hour or so while the download mirrors synchronize.

We are almost there to a final relase. There are only a couple minor
issues, and those are with the installer itself, not the Ruby runtime
that you get installed.

The main problem is that when you uninstall, the Start Menu entries
are not removed. Plus, the RUBYOPT environment variable is still being
set to "rubygems" instead of having "rubygems" added to any existing
options. Both of these are easy to work around.

The main changes/fixes in this release are:

* SciTE now defaults to two-space tabs and indents for ruby
files.
* Standalone "ri" and "rdoc" files now exist in the ruby\bin
directory it you use the RDT plugin for Eclipse (RDT was
unable to use the ri.bat and rdoc.bat files).
* The file associations and icons for .rb and .rbw files now
work properly.
* The C-based XML Parser is now included.

Curt

Justin Bailey

------=_Part_11174_14854238.1143586411337

How about SSL support in open-uri and Net::HTTP?

On 3/28/06, Curt Hibbs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The release file has been uploaded to RubyForge but may not be
> available for an hour or so while the download mirrors synchronize.
>
> We are almost there to a final relase. There are only a couple minor
> issues, and those are with the installer itself, not the Ruby runtime
> that you get installed.
>
> The main problem is that when you uninstall, the Start Menu entries
> are not removed. Plus, the RUBYOPT environment variable is still being
> set to "rubygems" instead of having "rubygems" added to any existing
> options. Both of these are easy to work around.
>
> The main changes/fixes in this release are:
>
> * SciTE now defaults to two-space tabs and indents for ruby
> files.
> * Standalone "ri" and "rdoc" files now exist in the ruby\bin
> directory it you use the RDT plugin for Eclipse (RDT was
> unable to use the ri.bat and rdoc.bat files).
> * The file associations and icons for .rb and .rbw files now
> work properly.
> * The C-based XML Parser is now included.
>
> Curt

------=_Part_11174_14854238.1143586411337--

Curt Hibbs

OpenSSL support is included. See the samples in:

ruby\src\ruby-1.8.4\sample\openssl

Curt

On 3/28/06, Justin Bailey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> How about SSL support in open-uri and Net::HTTP?
>
> On 3/28/06, Curt Hibbs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > The release file has been uploaded to RubyForge but may not be
> > available for an hour or so while the download mirrors synchronize.
> >
> > We are almost there to a final relase. There are only a couple minor
> > issues, and those are with the installer itself, not the Ruby runtime
> > that you get installed.
> >
> > The main problem is that when you uninstall, the Start Menu entries
> > are not removed. Plus, the RUBYOPT environment variable is still being
> > set to "rubygems" instead of having "rubygems" added to any existing
> > options. Both of these are easy to work around.
> >
> > The main changes/fixes in this release are:
> >
> > * SciTE now defaults to two-space tabs and indents for ruby
> > files.
> > * Standalone "ri" and "rdoc" files now exist in the ruby\bin
> > directory it you use the RDT plugin for Eclipse (RDT was
> > unable to use the ri.bat and rdoc.bat files).
> > * The file associations and icons for .rb and .rbw files now
> > work properly.
> > * The C-based XML Parser is now included.
> >
> > Curt

Dave Burt

Curt Hibbs announced:
> One-Click Ruby Installer 184-16 release candidate 1 is available!

Hi Curt,

We corresponded a while back about the inclusion of all or part of
win32utils in the Installer. Is that going to happen for 1.8.4-16?

Cheers,
Dave

Curt Hibbs

On 3/29/06, Dave Burt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Curt Hibbs announced:
> > One-Click Ruby Installer 184-16 release candidate 1 is available!

> Hi Curt,
>
> We corresponded a while back about the inclusion of all or part of
> win32utils in the Installer. Is that going to happen for 1.8.4-16?

No, its not.

Daniel Berger, the author of win32utils decided that he would prefer
they not be included. Its been a while, but I believe it was because
it was because doing so would limit he flexibility in canging the APIs
and refactoring the functionality across different packages.

Curt

Joe Percival

Curt Hibbs wrote:
> The release file has been uploaded to RubyForge but may not be
> available for an hour or so while the download mirrors synchronize.
>
><snip>
>
> Curt

Curt,
Thank you!
Without the one-click installer I am guessing that Ruby and Ruby on
rails would not have reached nearly the popularity it has. Many of us,
even if we are using a linux production environment, are using windows
machines for our learning and development work and the installer has
made this very accessible.

Thanks again!
joe

Curt Hibbs

Thanks!

Curt

On 3/29/06, Joe Percival <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Curt Hibbs wrote:
> > The release file has been uploaded to RubyForge but may not be
> > available for an hour or so while the download mirrors synchronize.
> >
> ><snip>
> >
> > Curt

> Curt,
> Thank you!
> Without the one-click installer I am guessing that Ruby and Ruby on
> rails would not have reached nearly the popularity it has. Many of us,
> even if we are using a linux production environment, are using windows
> machines for our learning and development work and the installer has
> made this very accessible.
>
> Thanks again!
> joe

Gary Watson

Curt Hibbs wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> Curt

ditto, thankyou very much for all your hard work.

Gary Watson

Gary Watson wrote:
> Curt Hibbs wrote:
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Curt

> ditto, thankyou very much for all your hard work.

I feel a little sheepish, I didn't realize I was replying to one of
Curt's posts. The sentiment remains the same though.

Thanks again,
Gary

Tom Copeland

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 22:46 +0900, Joe Percival wrote:
> Curt,
> Thank you!
> Without the one-click installer I am guessing that Ruby and Ruby on
> rails would not have reached nearly the popularity it has. Many of us,
> even if we are using a linux production environment, are using windows
> machines for our learning and development work and the installer has
> made this very accessible.

So true. I was going to buy Curt's new book already:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/rubyrails/

But even if I had zero interest in the subject matter, I'd buy it just
to say thanks to Curt for all the work he's done on the 1 click
installer!

Yours,

Tom