Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Isnumeric and importing vb functions

Isnumeric and importing vb functions

martin

Hi,

is there a dotnet function (other than the old isnumeric from VB) to check
whether an object is numeric or not.

also I notice that all the old vb functions such as split / isnumeric /
ubound etc are still availible by default in any VB.net web application.
is this because the vb library is being imported??
would it be best to totally remove this library (assuming that it is being
imported - which I can't see in my references) so that references to old vb
style functions will result in a compile time error.

many thanks in advance

cheers

martin.

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Martin,

You can use IsNumeric in VB.NET just fine. Don't worry about importing the
VB libraries. I read that some routines are optimized for VB so workarounds
could be slower.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...tisnumeric.asp

Ken

"martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> is there a dotnet function (other than the old isnumeric from VB) to check
> whether an object is numeric or not.
>
> also I notice that all the old vb functions such as split / isnumeric /
> ubound etc are still availible by default in any VB.net web application.
> is this because the vb library is being imported??
> would it be best to totally remove this library (assuming that it is being
> imported - which I can't see in my references) so that references to old
> vb
> style functions will result in a compile time error.
>
> many thanks in advance
>
> cheers
>
> martin.

martin

It's great to know that is numeric works,

however, do you know if there is a dotnet method that has replace it,

for example TRIM() had been replaced with string.trim..

I'm just curious, thats all.

cheers

martin.

"Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Martin,
>
> You can use IsNumeric in VB.NET just fine. Don't worry about importing the
> VB libraries. I read that some routines are optimized for VB so

workarounds
> could be slower.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...tisnumeric.asp

> Ken
>

> "martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > is there a dotnet function (other than the old isnumeric from VB) to

check
> > whether an object is numeric or not.
> >
> > also I notice that all the old vb functions such as split / isnumeric /
> > ubound etc are still availible by default in any VB.net web application.
> > is this because the vb library is being imported??
> > would it be best to totally remove this library (assuming that it is

being
> > imported - which I can't see in my references) so that references to old
> > vb
> > style functions will result in a compile time error.
> >
> > many thanks in advance
> >
> > cheers
> >
> > martin.

Kevin Spencer

> It's great to know that is numeric works,
>
> however, do you know if there is a dotnet method that has replace it,

Yes, the .Net method that replaced it is IsNumeric(). To be more precise,
the static .Net method that replaced it is
Microsoft.VisualBasic.Information.IsNumeric().

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

news:OId$(E-Mail Removed)...