Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [ANN] Agile Web Developement with Rails in Italian

[ANN] Agile Web Developement with Rails in Italian

Mc Osten

I have recently seen the italian version of "Agile Web Developement with
Rails" in bookstores. It's italian title is "Sviluppare applicazioni Web
con Rails" (unfortunately the "agile" part got lost).

This is as far as I know the first book in italian that talks about Ruby
(well, not really "Ruby", but at least about something closely related,
and probably someone who gets in touch with Rails will also learn Ruby).

Even if I do not really like Italian books (I just can't stand
tranlation mistakes, poor editions -- compared with some US ones ), I
decided to buy it.

I put aside my projudices and bought the italian edition since I think
it is good to show editors that they can earn money even with "not
mainstream technologies" (where in Italy mainstream means
PHP|Java|.Net|MS in general, and recently "Linux" "CSS" and "MacOS" --
but no Cocoa, for example ).

We have a couple of books about Python (and one is very old, dating back
to Python 2.1) and this one. Of course things like Haskell do not even
exist.
In fact as many people began buying books on MacOS, more books got
translated: I hope the very same thing can happen for Ruby or Python.

Unfortunately a lot of people in my country do not read english books. A
technology that is not covered by some book in italian is quite often
ignored: that is why I salute with joy this new book.

David N. Welton

Mc Osten wrote:
> I have recently seen the italian version of "Agile Web Developement with
> Rails" in bookstores. It's italian title is "Sviluppare applicazioni Web
> con Rails" (unfortunately the "agile" part got lost).

Yes, I saw that on http://www.libreriauniversitaria.it and was surprised
at how quickly it came out in Italian.

> This is as far as I know the first book in italian that talks about Ruby
> (well, not really "Ruby", but at least about something closely related,
> and probably someone who gets in touch with Rails will also learn Ruby).

I think Ruby's getting a lot of traction here in Italy... in Padova, a
few guys from the Java Users Group formed a Ruby Users Group

> Even if I do not really like Italian books (I just can't stand
> tranlation mistakes, poor editions -- compared with some US ones ), I
> decided to buy it.

Do you know who did the translation? Some of the guys at Hoepli do
pretty good work.

> Unfortunately a lot of people in my country do not read english books. A
> technology that is not covered by some book in italian is quite often
> ignored: that is why I salute with joy this new book.

Yes, hopefully it will make Rails more 'boss friendly' here, although
that will make it less of a competitive advantage for those who 'get it'

--
David N. Welton
- http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
- http://www.dedasys.com/

Mc Osten

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 13:13:47 +0100, David N. Welton wrote:

> Yes, I saw that on http://www.libreriauniversitaria.it and was surprised
> at how quickly it came out in Italian.

Well, I'm quite happy about it...

> I think Ruby's getting a lot of traction here in Italy... in Padova, a
> few guys from the Java Users Group formed a Ruby Users Group

And this is good. Python is not really widespread (even if our Alex
Martelli is one of the most known pythonists), but is growing. In my city
there are a couple of software houses that are using Python (and a couple
of friends *work* with it).

Here it is Java-PHP-VB. Sigh. But I'm happy some Javaists got interested
with ruby. How can I partecipate with this RUG? It's official? Is there a
mailing list?

I was thinking about doing kind of a ruby.it, but I told... it's better
someone else does it, I'm not a really experienced ruby programmer. Still
I'd like to partecipate.

> Do you know who did the translation? Some of the guys at Hoepli do
> pretty good work.

I own the book
Inside I read:

Traduzione:
Georges Piriou,
Marco Triplini

In fact there are also some modifications in respect with the english
version. Where appropriate there are "Translator notes" (Rails is really
"english" based)

> Yes, hopefully it will make Rails more 'boss friendly' here, although
> that will make it less of a competitive advantage for those who 'get it'

Yes. But until hostings won't offer ruby, I'm afraid will go on with PHP
(and that is bad).

--
USB Priests for only 10$

Pit Capitain

Mc Osten schrieb:
> Yes. But until hostings won't offer ruby, I'm afraid will go on with PHP
> (and that is bad).

I know that unbit.it supports Rails.

Regards,
Pit

Nathaniel S. H. Brown

Anyone know of some other Italian websites in general or companies
(development firms, bookstores, etc) that either use Rails or offer it as a
service of some sort?

Kind regards,
Nathan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nathaniel S. H. Brown http://nshb.net
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

horndude77@gmail.com

I know this probably won't answer your question, but here's the page
for an italian RUG. There doesn't seem to be much content in their wiki
as yet, but it does seem active. Certainly someone here should know:
http://ruby-it.org/

-----Jay Anderson

David N. Welton

http://groups.google.com/group/rugpadova

> Yes. But until hostings won't offer ruby, I'm afraid will go on with PHP
> (and that is bad).

Searching for 'rails hosting' finds quite a few. If you don't mind that
little extra bit of latency, hosting in the states is a pretty good deal
because of the relatively weak dollar. I'll be honest in that I think
the service is, on the whole, better than in Italy too, but that's a
tough problem in any country[1].

Saluti,
--
David N. Welton
- http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
- http://www.dedasys.com/

[1] http://www.dedasys.com/articles/webh...et_lemons.html

Mc Osten

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 00:28:07 +0900, Pit Capitain wrote:

> I know that unbit.it supports Rails.

site5 too (and I have an hosting with them). But PHP is more widespread...
that's what I was saying.

So many people who want a cheap hosting...

--
USB Priests for only 10$

Mc Osten

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 21:34:32 +0100, David N. Welton wrote:

> Searching for 'rails hosting' finds quite a few. If you don't mind that
> little extra bit of latency, hosting in the states is a pretty good deal
> because of the relatively weak dollar. I'll be honest in that I think
> the service is, on the whole, better than in Italy too, but that's a
> tough problem in any country[1].

Well, I quite said something when I meant something else. That is to say..
I know there are some rails hosting (i've got one and it is really
excellent, but excellence costs).

I have not seen "cheap" or free hostings offering rails. For example Aruba
or Altervista (a couple of names quite known in Italy).
That was I meant. And if Ruby spreads, cheap hostings will support Rails
too, I hope.

--
USB Priests for only 10$

Raffaele Salmaso

Mc Osten ha scritto:
> So many people who want a cheap hosting...

and they get a cheap service...

anyway, can you post a rewiev? if is it worth buying it?

--
()_() | NN KAPISCO XK' CELLHAVETE T'ANNTO CN ME SL | +----
(o.o) | XK' SKRIVO 1 P'HO VELLOCE MA HALL'ORA DITTELO | +---+