Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > capistrano

capistrano

Charlie Bowman

--=-MZMQQn3f+TFcEGWkRv6w

I'm having trouble finding the benefit of using capistrano. I'm only
using rails for a very small blog. Sometime in the next year I do
expect to start using rails at work. What are the benefits of using
capistrano for small apps like my blog?

Charlie Bowman
http://www.recentrambles.com

--=-MZMQQn3f+TFcEGWkRv6w--

Jamis Buck

On Mar 6, 2006, at 2:51 PM, Charlie Bowman wrote:

> I'm having trouble finding the benefit of using capistrano. I'm only
> using rails for a very small blog. Sometime in the next year I do
> expect to start using rails at work. What are the benefits of using
> capistrano for small apps like my blog?

The benefits are:

* Consistent deployment. Your deployment process works the same time
after time, even when you start adding more resources to host it.

* Standard practices. Your application is deployed using some
codified "best practices".

Now, that doesn't mean it is for everyone, but it works great for
lots of people. For a small, single-box application, the benefits
aren't as obvious, though. We didn't start feeling the need for
Capistrano until Basecamp began growing beyond it's single host server.

- Jamis

Charlie Bowman

--=-i85oZ9rUYYsCwCHJJQmR

Thanks, I think I'll implement it now so that I'll be prepared when I
"really" need it.

On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 06:56 +0900, Jamis Buck wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2006, at 2:51 PM, Charlie Bowman wrote:
>
> > I'm having trouble finding the benefit of using capistrano. I'm only
> > using rails for a very small blog. Sometime in the next year I do
> > expect to start using rails at work. What are the benefits of using
> > capistrano for small apps like my blog?

> The benefits are:
>
> * Consistent deployment. Your deployment process works the same time
> after time, even when you start adding more resources to host it.
>
> * Standard practices. Your application is deployed using some
> codified "best practices".
>
> Now, that doesn't mean it is for everyone, but it works great for
> lots of people. For a small, single-box application, the benefits
> aren't as obvious, though. We didn't start feeling the need for
> Capistrano until Basecamp began growing beyond it's single host server.
>
> - Jamis

Charlie Bowman
http://www.recentrambles.com

--=-i85oZ9rUYYsCwCHJJQmR--

listrecv@gmail.com

Forgive my ignorance, but what is capistrano? URL, please (Google just
shows me a city somewhere in California...)

Jamis Buck

On Mar 6, 2006, at 4:23 PM, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Forgive my ignorance, but what is capistrano? URL, please (Google
> just
> shows me a city somewhere in California...)

Capistrano is a utility for executing tasks in parallel on multiple
remote machines. The manual is located here:

http://manuals.rubyonrails.org/read/book/17

Hope that helps,

- Jamis

Joel VanderWerf

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Forgive my ignorance, but what is capistrano? URL, please (Google just
> shows me a city somewhere in California...)

Makes me think of a flock of swallows flying in formation around a
tower.... intentional, right?

Bil Kleb

Joel VanderWerf wrote:

> Makes me think of a flock of swallows flying in formation around a
> tower....

And eventually landing on the tower and relieving
themselves just before taking flight again...

--
Bil
http://fun3d.larc.nasa.gov

jeem@hughesorama.com

There are still plenty of references to "SwitchTower" on that page, so
just to clarify:

SwitchTower is the same as Capistrano. Jamis changed the name due to a
trademark clash with another software product.

Jim