Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > MySQL Bindings, Pather Server, existing MySQL - help

MySQL Bindings, Pather Server, existing MySQL - help

Brian Ablaza

I'm trying to install Ruby with the MySQL bindings via Darwinports on a
Panther Server with an existing MySQL install. I've used Darwinports to
install Ruby, Gems, and Rails, all went OK.

Now I'm trying to install the MySQL bindings without success. I've tried
using Gems and extconf.rb, but both fail:

checking for mysql_ssl_set()... no
checking for mysql.h... no
checking for mysql/mysql.h... no

I think this is because on Panther server, the directories for lib and
include are in non-standard locations (/usr/include/mysql,
/usr/lib/mysql instead of /usr/local/mysql and /usr/local/lib). I've
tried specifying these locations (--with-mysql-include, etc.) but it
seems that the build script tries to add "include" and "lib" to the end
of the directory specification, so it fails.

I also tried to use Darwinports to install the bindings, but it has
MySQL as a dependency. It doesn't find MySQL (since it's previously
installed at the standard location and not by Darwinports), so it wants
to install it. I say no, of course, but then the port won't install.
There doesn't seem to be a way to specify an alternate location for
MySQL to get the port to install.

I've tried everything I can think of. Any ideas?

zakifataya

In the interests of helping others (since I couldn't find the answer to
this myself) here's how I was able to accomplish this.

Per directions here

http://www.kitebird.com/articles/ruby-mysql.html

I was changing to the mysql-2.7 directory and running

ruby extconf.rb --with-mysql-config=/usr/include/mysql
--with-mysql-lib=/usr/lib/mysql

but it was failing (see previous post).

I know that you often have to run the "make" and "make install" commands
as root, but what fixed my problem was running extconf.rb as root. Don't
know if that will be a problem later, or a security risk, but it works
now.