Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > can't start Firebird !

can't start Firebird !

buddyboy@idcomm.com

I just dl'd Firebird, unzipped to a directory, and clicked the exe file
to start it.
I get "The connection was refused when attempting to contact (whatever
site I try) "

What else must I do?

Thanks,
Rod

Michel Doucet

Bonjour "(E-Mail Removed)", tu as écrit le samedi 15/11/2003 :
> I just dl'd Firebird, unzipped to a directory, and clicked the exe file
> to start it.
> I get "The connection was refused when attempting to contact (whatever
> site I try) "
>
> What else must I do?
>
> Thanks,
> Rod

Hi,
Do you have a proxy ?

--
L'erreur est de croire qu'on est seul !
michel.laclé(E-Mail Removed) - Ôter la clé pour me répondre !

buddyboy@idcomm.com

Michel Doucet wrote:

> Hi,
> Do you have a proxy ?

No, but I just found the problem. If I disable my firewall, AtGuard,
then Firebird works.
Strange, usually when AtGuard detects an unknown app trying to go
outbound, it pops up a message asking if I want to create a new rule,
but not this time.

I created an AtGuard rule to allow Firebird to connect, both
outbound/inbound, both TCP.UDP, ANY adress.
But it still interferes with Firebird.

?????

Michel Doucet

Bonjour "(E-Mail Removed)", tu as écrit le samedi 15/11/2003 :
> Strange, usually when AtGuard detects an unknown app trying to go
> outbound, it pops up a message asking if I want to create a new rule,
> but not this time.

I do not understand : with Zone Alarm it's working but I had to answer
yes when it asks me if FireBird can act as a server ?

--
L'erreur est de croire qu'on est seul !
michel.laclé(E-Mail Removed) - Ôter la clé pour me répondre !
NewsReader : http://mesnews.no-ip.com
Navigateur : http://texturizer.net/firebird/index.html
Courriéleur : http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/

Ed Mullen

Michel Doucet wrote:
> Bonjour "(E-Mail Removed)", tu as écrit le samedi 15/11/2003 :
>
>>Strange, usually when AtGuard detects an unknown app trying to go
>>outbound, it pops up a message asking if I want to create a new rule,
>>but not this time.

> I do not understand : with Zone Alarm it's working but I had to answer
> yes when it asks me if FireBird can act as a server ?

Mozilla browsers need server access to your local host (127.0.0.1) so
the security manager will work. It's a harmless connection and
perfectly safe to allow in your firewall rules.

--
Ed Mullen - Mozilla Champion
http://edmullen.net

TungstenT3Rocks

> I just dl'd Firebird, unzipped to a directory, and clicked the exe file
> to start it.
> I get "The connection was refused when attempting to contact (whatever
> site I try) "
>
> What else must I do?
>
> Thanks,
> Rod

Are you running a firewall app? You may need to give Firebird
permission if you are using a firewall simialar to ZoneAlarm...

Just my thoughts,
Kelly