Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Mozilla vs Netscape?

Mozilla vs Netscape?

Tom Accuosti

Okay, I've been playing with Moz for a week, and it's starting to grow
on me. I like the email client and newsreader. I can now understand why
Moz users are so hooked.

So that brings me to this question: what's the diff between Moz and
Netscape? I'm not a NS user myself, and in fact, I think I only tried it
once on a friend's machine about 8 years ago, so I've got nothign to go
on. But I thought I had read that there is a connection between NS and
Moz. Didn't Mozilla evolve from Netscape? Aren't the features pretty
much the same? Why the duplication in programming?

Just curious.

Leonidas Jones

Tom Accuosti wrote:
> Okay, I've been playing with Moz for a week, and it's starting to grow
> on me. I like the email client and newsreader. I can now understand why
> Moz users are so hooked.
>
> So that brings me to this question: what's the diff between Moz and
> Netscape? I'm not a NS user myself, and in fact, I think I only tried it
> once on a friend's machine about 8 years ago, so I've got nothign to go
> on. But I thought I had read that there is a connection between NS and
> Moz. Didn't Mozilla evolve from Netscape? Aren't the features pretty
> much the same? Why the duplication in programming?
>
> Just curious.

Other way around. The newer versions of Netscape, 6.x and 7.x are based
on Mozilla. The newset Netscape, 7.1, is based on Moz 1.4.

Netscape will probably issue no new versions, its been killed by Time
Warner. (Never say never though.)

If you have not been using Netscape, there is no reason to start. Stay
with Moz.

Lee

--
Leonidas Jones
Mozilla Champion

http://mozilla.org

Keith Bowes

Tom Accuosti wrote:
> Didn't Mozilla evolve from Netscape? Aren't the features pretty
> much the same? Why the duplication in programming?

Netscape 4 was a piece of junk, so Mozilla was started up as the
open-source rewrite for Netscape 5 (which was marketed as version 6).
Yada yada yada. Mozilla is the best browser around.

TungstenT3Rocks

Tom Accuosti wrote:
> Okay, I've been playing with Moz for a week, and it's starting to grow
> on me. I like the email client and newsreader. I can now understand why
> Moz users are so hooked.
>
> So that brings me to this question: what's the diff between Moz and
> Netscape? I'm not a NS user myself, and in fact, I think I only tried it
> once on a friend's machine about 8 years ago, so I've got nothign to go
> on. But I thought I had read that there is a connection between NS and
> Moz. Didn't Mozilla evolve from Netscape? Aren't the features pretty
> much the same? Why the duplication in programming?
>
> Just curious.

Tom,

First of all I am no expert, but the current version of netscape is a
much larger file than Mozilla and it is not nearly as fast. In addition
is is not as user friendly as Mozilla. The old verions of netscape were
pretty good for their time Netscape went to the dark side of the force.
Netscape was purchased by AOL TIME WARNER!!!!! Be afraid. The last
time I used it was about a year ago and I did not like it. But like
many other things in life you may want to try it and see for yourself.
This is what download.com has to say about Netscape:

http://download.com.com/3000-2356-10...ml?tag=lst-0-5

If Mozilla is the Toyota Prius of browsers, then Netscape is the
4Runner: same genes, vastly different image and overhead. You'll see
most of the same useful features and functions in Netscape's browser,
but you'll give up much more disk space and processing power to support
the accompanying package. The updated, airbrushed interface manages to
look simple but proves cluttered as you notice the redundancies across
multiple toolbars. But some pearls emerge, such as integrated IM and map
access, as well as tabbed browsing, which supports group bookmarking,
and a download manager. You get the usual suite of mail, news, and HTML
editing clients as well.

Day Brown

Keith Bowes wrote:

> Tom Accuosti wrote:
> > Didn't Mozilla evolve from Netscape? Aren't the features pretty
> > much the same? Why the duplication in programming?
> >

> Netscape 4 was a piece of junk, so Mozilla was started up as the
> open-source rewrite for Netscape 5 (which was marketed as version 6).
> Yada yada yada. Mozilla is the best browser around.

That I've seen. Firebird on win 98 seems to be lacking some, but I dunno
if that's cause it's a windoz version.

But when I tried to install the moz on my corel-debian 2.2.16, it told
me that I didnt have the right GLIB... and when I got that, it told me I
didnt have the right GCC... and now I wonder how far down the garden
path this is gonna take me.

Is there something better than netscape 4.7 that will run on what I
already have?