Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Re: Expire Email Hyperlink

Re: Expire Email Hyperlink

Craig Deelsnyder

Jon wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have an app that send a hyperlink via email to allow users to get to a certion webform...
>
> mmMail.Body = "http://localhost/MyApp/Secure/GoHere.aspx?" & sParams
>
> Is there a way to add code to my sParams (parameters) so that the link will expire after a certain time period? In other words, after the link has been emailed, if a user doesn't click on it in 5 days, the link will no longer send them to the page, and thus be rendedred useless. I may be dreaming, but I thought I read the answer to this several weeks ago in this newsgroup.

Just add your own querystring arg that is based on the server time.
Just hash it together, etc. so it's cryptic to the user and they don't
know how to 'munge' it. Then GoHere.aspx needs to check if the
timestamp pulled out of the querystring is within your expiration period...

--
Craig Deelsnyder
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET

wl

Or you could create a GUID (or any other "random' value) and append this to
the URL as GET parameter (such as: http://mydomain/test?id=37128937192) that
you include in the email. Store this number in a database together with the
date the mail was sent.

When the link is visited, do a reverse lookup.

Wim

news:%23m$(E-Mail Removed)...