Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Restarting the tray icon

Restarting the tray icon

James Messick

I run Mozilla under Windows, and keep it in memory so that it loads
faster. Nice. Bus I have to shut this down when I use Mozilla Backup.
Anybody know how to restart it without having to reboot Windows? TIA

James

Leonidas Jones

James Messick wrote:
> I run Mozilla under Windows, and keep it in memory so that it loads
> faster. Nice. Bus I have to shut this down when I use Mozilla Backup.
> Anybody know how to restart it without having to reboot Windows? TIA
>
> James

Edit>>Preferences>>Advanced. Check the Quick Launch box, and click OK.

Lee

--
Leonidas Jones
Mozilla Champion

http://mozilla.org

James Messick

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> James Messick wrote:
>
>> I run Mozilla under Windows, and keep it in memory so that it loads
>> faster. Nice. Bus I have to shut this down when I use Mozilla Backup.
>> Anybody know how to restart it without having to reboot Windows? TIA
>>
>> James
>>

> Edit>>Preferences>>Advanced. Check the Quick Launch box, and click OK.

I have that check, and it loads that way when Windows boots. But if I
terminate this I have to reboot to get Mozilla to stay in memory. I can
run Mozilla, just not from the tray.

Leonidas Jones

James Messick wrote:

> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> James Messick wrote:
>>
>>> I run Mozilla under Windows, and keep it in memory so that it loads
>>> faster. Nice. Bus I have to shut this down when I use Mozilla Backup.
>>> Anybody know how to restart it without having to reboot Windows? TIA
>>>
>>> James
>>>

>> Edit>>Preferences>>Advanced. Check the Quick Launch box, and click OK.

> I have that check, and it loads that way when Windows boots. But if I
> terminate this I have to reboot to get Mozilla to stay in memory. I can
> run Mozilla, just not from the tray.

Hm.

I don't use Quick Launch. I've found it adds little to start time,
except after a reboot, and I hate the drain on system resources from
having it run constantly, so I may not be the best resource,

Still, from what I see, if I turn on Quick Launch from
Edit>>Preferences, it stays on. If I exit it from the Systray, it goes
away. If I restart it from Edit>>Prefs, it stays on. I'm not seeing a
need to reboot from here.

Lee
--
Leonidas Jones
Mozilla Champion
Learn about the Champs!
http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org
The UFAQ'S
http://www.ufaq.org/

http://mozilla.org

Ed Mullen

James Messick wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>>James Messick wrote:
>>

>>>I run Mozilla under Windows, and keep it in memory so that it loads
>>>faster. Nice. Bus I have to shut this down when I use Mozilla Backup.
>>>Anybody know how to restart it without having to reboot Windows? TIA
>>>
>>>James
>>>

>>Edit>>Preferences>>Advanced. Check the Quick Launch box, and click OK.

> I have that check, and it loads that way when Windows boots. But if I
> terminate this I have to reboot to get Mozilla to stay in memory. I can
> run Mozilla, just not from the tray.

This is odd behavior. (The program, not you. ) But you don't need
to reboot. Run Mozilla, do Edit - Preferences - Advanced. You'll see
that Quick Launch is still enabled. Click OK. It should now be back in
the System Tray.

This seems like a bug. Haven't searched Bugzilla for it but it is odd.
If I remember correctly, right-clicking the System Tray icon, choosing
Exit Mozilla, then re-running Mozilla was enough to get Quick Launch
back into memory.

On the other hand, I just don't see that big a gain in performance on my
systems (933 MHz and 1.33 GHz machines) so I don't use it. I run
Mozilla at the start of the day and it pretty much keeps running until I
close things down at night. Still, this is kinda odd.

--
Ed Mullen - Mozilla Champion
http://edmullen.net

Brian

Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<irksb.178916$e01.650504@attbi_s02>...
> James Messick wrote:

Just create a shortcut to Mozilla, right click on the shortcut, go to
properties & add the parameter -turbo in the target. Then when you
click on that shortcut, you'll launch Mozilla quicklaunch.

ex. "C:\Program Files\Mozilla\Mozilla\mozilla.exe" -turbo

James Messick

Brian wrote:
> Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<irksb.178916$e01.650504@attbi_s02>...
>
>>James Messick wrote:

> Just create a shortcut to Mozilla, right click on the shortcut, go to
> properties & add the parameter -turbo in the target. Then when you
> click on that shortcut, you'll launch Mozilla quicklaunch.
>
> ex. "C:\Program Files\Mozilla\Mozilla\mozilla.exe" -turbo

Excellent!!! Thanks, man!