Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Montastic: the free website monitoring system that doesn't suck

Montastic: the free website monitoring system that doesn't suck

jean vacance

We are proud to announce this free website monitoring service:

Montastic will alert you by email if your website goes down, so you
know about it before your customers call you.

It is built with Ajax and Ruby on Rails. Check it out, it is really
useful and it is the sexiest monitoring service available

www.montastic.com

--
d.

m4dc4p

Cool service, thanks for putting it out there!

Andreas Schwarz

jean vacance wrote:
> We are proud to announce this free website monitoring service:
>
> Montastic will alert you by email if your website goes down, so you
> know about it before your customers call you.
>
> It is built with Ajax and Ruby on Rails. Check it out, it is really
> useful and it is the sexiest monitoring service available

I like it. How often is the status checked?

Luke Duncalfe

> > It is built with Ajax and Ruby on Rails. Check it out, it is really
> > useful and it is the sexiest monitoring service available

> I like it. How often is the status checked?

FAQ #2:

How often does the system monitor my sites?

Every 10 minutes at the minimum.

Ben Myles

On 1/10/06, jean vacance <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> We are proud to announce this free website monitoring service:
> www.montastic.com

Looks nice!

Reading the FAQ, I found [1] and [2]. In light of that, any chance of
open sourcing it?

I'd be interested in extending it to include some statistics, email
alerts and the ability to check for a "matching sentence" (all work
submitted back to the project for everyone to use of course).

[1] Why is it free? Is there a catch?

There is no catch. We developed Montastic for us and the cost of
development was minimal. Montastic is 100% automated and adding
servers to monitors costs virtually nothing. So, we wanted to share
its usefulness and its fun with others.

[2] What's the big plan about it?

There is no plan. We are just going to use it ourselves and make it
better based on the feedback you send us.

jean vacance

Every 5 minutes. Soon it will be 2 minutes.

jean vacance

There is already email alerts and RSS feeds. Matching sentences is in
on the list as well as ping service. No plan to open source it.

m4dc4p

What IP address do checks come from so we can filter them from our
logs?

Thanks for putting this service out there!