Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Can't find ruby after installation

Can't find ruby after installation

Nirav

I skipped ruby selection while installing mandrake 10.1 with an
intention of building the latest version (1.8.3).
After untarring the download in /usr/local/src, I followed README (1.
../configure 2. make 3. and optional make test (successful)).
"which ruby" returns ruby: but I can't find ruby in /usr/local/bin or
/usr/local/lib.

Where is it?

Thanks in advance.

jason r tibbetts

Nirav wrote:
> I skipped ruby selection while installing mandrake 10.1 with an
> intention of building the latest version (1.8.3).
> After untarring the download in /usr/local/src, I followed README (1.
> ../configure 2. make 3. and optional make test (successful)).
> "which ruby" returns ruby: but I can't find ruby in /usr/local/bin or
> /usr/local/lib.
>
> Where is it?

It's probably in your current working directory (i.e. from wherever you
called 'which ruby'). To make sure, take a look at the Makefile that was
generated by configure. Search for the 'prefix' variable about a dozen
lines from the top.

Zach

jason r tibbetts wrote:

> Nirav wrote:
>
>> I skipped ruby selection while installing mandrake 10.1 with an
>> intention of building the latest version (1.8.3).
>> After untarring the download in /usr/local/src, I followed README (1.
>> ../configure 2. make 3. and optional make test (successful)).
>> "which ruby" returns ruby: but I can't find ruby in /usr/local/bin or
>> /usr/local/lib.
>>
>> Where is it?

> It's probably in your current working directory (i.e. from wherever
> you called 'which ruby'). To make sure, take a look at the Makefile
> that was generated by configure. Search for the 'prefix' variable
> about a dozen lines from the top.

During the .configure you can pass the parameters to set that at runtime
too, I'm not sure if it was as short as --PREFIX=myPath or not but it
was that simple.

-Zach

Marius Friis

You might need to run 'make install' as root to actually install it,
right now you have just
compiled it.

--
Sir Bedevere: ...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be
banana shaped.

Nirav

Strange!! last time I kept the distro version, and
compiled/build/install 1.8.3 in /usr space using same instructions in
README. It worked then!

Is it possible that configuration script assumes that user will always
keep the linux distro version, but unable to find that in this case and
got confused?

Anyways, thank you all, I will try the options you've provided.