Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > net/imap idle

net/imap idle

Payton Swick

Perhaps there's another way to do this without polling, but I added the
IMAP IDLE (and associated DONE) command to Shugo Maeda's excellent
net/imap API.

For those unaware, RFC 2177 adds the IDLE command to the IMAP
specification which allows the server to notify clients when a mailbox
has changed state (particularly when new mail has arrived).

When issued, an IDLE command requires a DONE to complete it, which
should be issued at least every 29 minutes, to prevent a timeout.

Anyway, here's the (tiny) piece of code I wrote to implement this; I
hope it's useful. Feel free to tell me what I did wrong.

class Net::IMAP
def idle
cmd = "IDLE"
synchronize do
tag = generate_tag
put_string(tag + " " + cmd)
put_string(CRLF)
end
end
def done
cmd = "DONE"
synchronize do
put_string(cmd)
put_string(CRLF)
end
end
end

-Payton

804 Packet loss during dialer idle timeout process? Loren Amelang Cisco 3 02-07-2005 10:59 PM
Do routers normally drop connections after idle periods? Bartt Wireless Networking 6 12-12-2004 03:35 AM
PIX Idle connection timeout Rob Cisco 1 11-17-2004 11:20 PM
dialer idle-timout doesn't get reset Dennis Ortsen Cisco 4 08-03-2004 02:42 PM
Session-Timeouts and Idle-Timeouts on AS5300 and AS5800 Matt Cisco 1 02-17-2004 06:59 PM

Advertisments