Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Rails syslogger extremly slow..

Rails syslogger extremly slow..

kenlet.usenet@gmail.com

I'm using sysloglogger from here...

http://rails-analyzer.rubyforge.org/...logLogger.html

but it causes my website to run 10x slower. It looks like there's heavy
IO wait. Does anyone know why this may be?

Is it just because of the large amount of stuff it has to write to
disk? I don't have a lot of memory...is that the main problem?

Gene Tani

> I'm using sysloglogger from here...
>
> http://rails-analyzer.rubyforge.org/...logLogger.html
>
> but it causes my website to run 10x slower. It looks like there's heavy
> IO wait. Does anyone know why this may be?
>
> Is it just because of the large amount of stuff it has to write to
> disk? I don't have a lot of memory...is that the main problem?

(not trying to be nasty, but i think the canonical answer is you'll get
an answer faster at the rails list

Lou Vanek

a hard disk is roughly 100x slower than IO over a wire because it
has mechanically moving parts. So seeing a 10x slowdown is reasonable.

putting the following line in your rails environment.rb file should speed
things up since it will minimize logging output to the hard disk:

config.log_level = :fatal

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I'm using sysloglogger from here...
>
> http://rails-analyzer.rubyforge.org/...logLogger.html
>
> but it causes my website to run 10x slower. It looks like there's heavy
> IO wait. Does anyone know why this may be?
>
> Is it just because of the large amount of stuff it has to write to
> disk? I don't have a lot of memory...is that the main problem?

kenlet

What are the other available log levels?