Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Lighttpd/rails deployment error

Lighttpd/rails deployment error

phil swenson

I have been trying to get Lighttpd working.... we have been using
webrick, but want to move to a production quality web server. I
followed the instructions found here :
http://brainspl.at/pages/rails_stack

We are developing on windows and deploying to Fedora Linux. We're using
rails 1.0. The build actually happens on the windows box and using ant
transfers the code to the Linux box. If I manually copy the code from
the Windows box to the deployment box, Lighttpd works fine. However if
I use the ant task deploy it (which just SCPs the code), it fails. Here
is the error I get when I run ruby script/server:

=> Booting lighttpd (use 'script/server webrick' to force WEBrick)
Rails Error: Unable to access log file. Please ensure that
script/../config/../log/development.log exists and is chmod 0666. The
log level has been raised to WARN and the output directed to STDERR
until the problem is fixed.
=> Rails application started on http://0.0.0.0:3000
=> Call with -d to detach (requires absolute paths in
config/lighttpd.conf)
=> Ctrl-C to shutdown server (see config/lighttpd.conf for options)
2005-12-22 17:02:34: (mod_accesslog.c.512) opening access-log failed:
Permission denied log/lighttpd.access.log
2005-12-22 17:02:34: (server.c.670) Configuration of plugins failed.
Going down.

Any ideas?

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

On Dec 22, 2005, at 2:05 PM, phil swenson wrote:

> I have been trying to get Lighttpd working.... we have been using
> webrick, but want to move to a production quality web server. I
> followed the instructions found here :
> http://brainspl.at/pages/rails_stack
>

> We are developing on windows and deploying to Fedora Linux. We're
> using
> rails 1.0. The build actually happens on the windows box and using
> ant
> transfers the code to the Linux box. If I manually copy the code from
> the Windows box to the deployment box, Lighttpd works fine.
> However if
> I use the ant task deploy it (which just SCPs the code), it fails.
> Here
> is the error I get when I run ruby script/server:
>
> => Booting lighttpd (use 'script/server webrick' to force WEBrick)
> Rails Error: Unable to access log file. Please ensure that
> script/../config/../log/development.log exists and is chmod 0666. The
> log level has been raised to WARN and the output directed to STDERR
> until the problem is fixed.
> => Rails application started on http://0.0.0.0:3000
> => Call with -d to detach (requires absolute paths in
> config/lighttpd.conf)
> => Ctrl-C to shutdown server (see config/lighttpd.conf for options)
> 2005-12-22 17:02:34: (mod_accesslog.c.512) opening access-log failed:
> Permission denied log/lighttpd.access.log
> 2005-12-22 17:02:34: (server.c.670) Configuration of plugins failed.
> Going down.
>
> Any ideas?

Phil-

It looks like a plain old permissions error. Can you go ahead and
use your ant task to move things to linux and then chmod the log
files to be read/writable by the user that you run lighttpd as? Try
that and report back with your findings and I'll help you debug.

-Ezra