Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP.NET on Server 2003 - Painfully Slow to Process Page?

ASP.NET on Server 2003 - Painfully Slow to Process Page?

Marc Castrechini

Forgive me on the lack of specifics but I am not a "server" guy.

We just rolled our code out to a 2003 Server from Win2k Server and for some
reason our pages are painfully slow. It appears the pages process fine (by
spinning globe and 100% status bar. But then there is a dead wait time while
it must be processing the request.redirect.

Server 2003
IIS 6.0
Framework 1.1.4322.573
Windows Authentication (Was using local users/groups on Win2k, now using AD
accounts but trying to duplicate old user/group behavior)

The system does work 100%, Authentication and group identification as well.
Just a painfull wait time before pages.

Everything worked beautifully on the new server for a short time. Not sure
what changed.

I hope this provides some insight, more detail will happily be provided
where necessary.

TIA
- Marc

Curt_C [MVP]

all calls or just the first?
do you have the app pool expiring too soon?
is the worker process in the task manager pegged really high?

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

"Marc Castrechini" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OobN%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Forgive me on the lack of specifics but I am not a "server" guy.
>
> We just rolled our code out to a 2003 Server from Win2k Server and for

some
> reason our pages are painfully slow. It appears the pages process fine (by
> spinning globe and 100% status bar. But then there is a dead wait time

while
> it must be processing the request.redirect.
>
> Server 2003
> IIS 6.0
> Framework 1.1.4322.573
> Windows Authentication (Was using local users/groups on Win2k, now using

AD
> accounts but trying to duplicate old user/group behavior)
>
> The system does work 100%, Authentication and group identification as

well.
> Just a painfull wait time before pages.
>
> Everything worked beautifully on the new server for a short time. Not sure
> what changed.
>
> I hope this provides some insight, more detail will happily be provided
> where necessary.
>
> TIA
> - Marc

Morgan

Look in the event log for excessive asp_net service entries, which may
indicate excessive restarts, which will cause the server to appear slow.

"Marc Castrechini" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OobN%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Forgive me on the lack of specifics but I am not a "server" guy.
>
> We just rolled our code out to a 2003 Server from Win2k Server and for

some
> reason our pages are painfully slow. It appears the pages process fine (by
> spinning globe and 100% status bar. But then there is a dead wait time

while
> it must be processing the request.redirect.
>
> Server 2003
> IIS 6.0
> Framework 1.1.4322.573
> Windows Authentication (Was using local users/groups on Win2k, now using

AD
> accounts but trying to duplicate old user/group behavior)
>
> The system does work 100%, Authentication and group identification as

well.
> Just a painfull wait time before pages.
>
> Everything worked beautifully on the new server for a short time. Not sure
> what changed.
>
> I hope this provides some insight, more detail will happily be provided
> where necessary.
>
> TIA
> - Marc

Marc Castrechini

After looking at the Event Log I actually found the problem. As part of our
normal error handling and tracking we write to a custom Event Log category.
That was not happening on the server and when we removed it from our
authentication/roles code it runs fine.

I will try to figure out what was happening but I am good with the Slow to
Process page issue.

Thanks for your help

- Marc

"Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Look in the event log for excessive asp_net service entries, which may
> indicate excessive restarts, which will cause the server to appear slow.
>

> "Marc Castrechini" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OobN%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Forgive me on the lack of specifics but I am not a "server" guy.
> >
> > We just rolled our code out to a 2003 Server from Win2k Server and for

> some
> > reason our pages are painfully slow. It appears the pages process fine

(by
> > spinning globe and 100% status bar. But then there is a dead wait time

> while
> > it must be processing the request.redirect.
> >
> > Server 2003
> > IIS 6.0
> > Framework 1.1.4322.573
> > Windows Authentication (Was using local users/groups on Win2k, now using

> AD
> > accounts but trying to duplicate old user/group behavior)
> >
> > The system does work 100%, Authentication and group identification as

> well.
> > Just a painfull wait time before pages.
> >
> > Everything worked beautifully on the new server for a short time. Not

sure
> > what changed.
> >
> > I hope this provides some insight, more detail will happily be provided
> > where necessary.
> >
> > TIA
> > - Marc

BufferedImage.TYPE_CUSTOM conversion is painfully slow. emp Java 3 11-24-2005 10:05 PM
Painfully Slow Startup/Login Lewis Computer Support 4 03-20-2005 11:40 PM
event id 256 and painfully slow boot - win2k-sp4 Andreas Perfora’tus Computer Support 5 01-05-2005 08:09 AM
CiscoWorks painfully slow jw Cisco 4 10-28-2004 07:59 PM
painfully slow download speeds Susan Brown Computer Support 6 11-16-2003 04:28 PM

Advertisments