Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > System Tray Icon

System Tray Icon

listrecv@gmail.com

Any one know of a simple way to load an icon to the system tray via
Ruby?

Ideally, I'd like cross platform, but would settle for Windows only.

My goal is to make a simple utility that runs in the background, runs
the unit tests, and goes red or green. These are a dime a dozen for
things like JUnit, but haven't found one for Ruby.

Wilson Bilkovich

On 12/12/05, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Any one know of a simple way to load an icon to the system tray via
> Ruby?
>
> Ideally, I'd like cross platform, but would settle for Windows only.
>
> My goal is to make a simple utility that runs in the background, runs
> the unit tests, and goes red or green. These are a dime a dozen for
> things like JUnit, but haven't found one for Ruby.

I don't believe that there's any cross-platform way to do this.
Here's how in Windows, though:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mai...y-talk/2913444

The API call at play here is this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...n-us/shellcc/=
platform/shell/reference/functions/shell_notifyicon.asp

You basically use String.pack to build the "NOTIFYICONDATA" data
structure that the Win32 call expects.

--Wilson.

daz

listrecv wrote:
> Any one know of a simple way to load an icon to the system tray via
> Ruby?
>
> Ideally, I'd like cross platform, but would settle for Windows only.
>
> My goal is to make a simple utility that runs in the background, runs
> the unit tests, and goes red or green. These are a dime a dozen for
> things like JUnit, but haven't found one for Ruby.

Here's a thread from two weeks back with "system tray" in the subject line:

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin...-mode-vertical

daz