Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Filling PDF Forms

Filling PDF Forms

Kevin Olbrich

Are there any Ruby utilities out there for filling out PDF forms?
I have PDF form that I would like to populate from a database.

Gary Watson

Kevin Olbrich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Are there any Ruby utilities out there for filling out PDF forms?
> I have PDF form that I would like to populate from a database.

http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-pdf/

Kevin Olbrich

pfharlock wrote:
> Kevin Olbrich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Are there any Ruby utilities out there for filling out PDF forms?
>> I have PDF form that I would like to populate from a database.
>>

> http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-pdf/

While this is helpful, it does not solve my problem.

To clarify... I have a pre-existing PDF file which has various form
fields defined within it. I would like to automatically fill the
defined form fields with data from a database and provide the completed
file for download to the end user.

As near as I can tell from reading the manual, PDF::Writer does not
support forms in this fashion.

I really don't want to regenerate the entire form from scratch.

_Kevin

Austin Ziegler

On 12/5/05, Kevin Olbrich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> pfharlock wrote:
> > Kevin Olbrich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Are there any Ruby utilities out there for filling out PDF forms?
> >> I have PDF form that I would like to populate from a database.
> >>

> > http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-pdf/

> While this is helpful, it does not solve my problem.

You are correct. I am not sure when or if this will be possible with
PDF::Writer. You may want to look around the Adobe developer website,
because there are indications that it may be possible with other
means. I just haven't investigated it so far.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
* Alternate: (E-Mail Removed)

mjfreshyfresh@gmail.com

I'm looking for this same functionality myself. Please post if/when you
find a way to do it in Ruby.

Thanks-
Michael

mjfreshyfresh@gmail.com

Just to follow up on this...

I ended up using iText which is a Java library. Filling in the form
fields was a piece of cake!
http://www.lowagie.com/iText/

After writing my own wrapper to iText I then connected it to Ruby using
RJB
http://arton.no-ip.info/collabo/back...RubyJavaBridge
This bridge was also very easy to configure and use.