Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Legal symbol names and generics

Legal symbol names and generics

Hugh Sasse

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005, John Lam wrote:

> So rewriting my original example (which I now realize has the constructor
> parameter in the wrong place) [1]
>
> channel = ChannelFactory[IOutputChannel].new('
> http://www.flickr.com/services/soap/').CreateChannel<http://www.flickr.com/services/soap/%27%29.CreateChannel>
>
> This does, however clash with static indexers in the CLR since I would like
> to preserve the [] indexer semantics in the bridge ... thoughts?
>
> Thanks!
> -John

I've come in on the middle of this and don't know how to interpret
CLR (comp.lang.ruby? C++ Language RTTI? Something to do with .NET (I
forget what)?). So, I find myself wondering why not:

flickstem = "http:://www.flikr.com/services/soap/"
channel = ChannelSweatshop.new("IOChannel" => flickrstem,
"CreateChannel" =>
"#{flickrstem}%27%29.CreateChannel",
"FinancialDrain" =>
"ShoppingChannel",
"BritTerrestrialChannels" => ["BBC1",
"BBC2", "ITV1", "Channel4", "five"])

where ChannelSweatshop is a big, smokey factory with lots of worker
methods to produce your channels for you, with rather of lot of
flexibility. And all those args will end up in a single hash.

Or pass a block to the constructor, instance_eval it, and call the
channels into being in tbe block.

But I've probably missed the crucial detail.

Hugh