Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > PLEAC-Ruby

PLEAC-Ruby

Gregory Brown

Has anyone seen this before?

It's a project that aims to implement the Perl cookbook solutions in Ruby.

http://pleac.sourceforge.net/pleac_ruby/

It has a lot of really good ideas in it, but it's kind of hit or miss
as far as Ruby idioms goes and looks to be out of date in places.

Still, I think it could be a good resource if we collectively bug
whoever is running the project about idioms and whatnot and also help
fill in the holes.

I only mention it because I don't see many links to it on popular ruby
sites, and I'm wondering if people have seen this, what they think of
it, and if they think it might be worth helping out with.

Joel VanderWerf

Gregory Brown wrote:
> Has anyone seen this before?
>
> It's a project that aims to implement the Perl cookbook solutions in Ruby.
>
> http://pleac.sourceforge.net/pleac_ruby/
>
> It has a lot of really good ideas in it, but it's kind of hit or miss
> as far as Ruby idioms goes and looks to be out of date in places.
>
> Still, I think it could be a good resource if we collectively bug
> whoever is running the project about idioms and whatnot and also help
> fill in the holes.
>
> I only mention it because I don't see many links to it on popular ruby
> sites, and I'm wondering if people have seen this, what they think of
> it, and if they think it might be worth helping out with.

Take cover, everyone....

(Search the archives for pleac.)

Gregory Brown

On 11/23/05, Joel VanderWerf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Gregory Brown wrote:
> > Has anyone seen this before?
> >
> > It's a project that aims to implement the Perl cookbook solutions in Ru=

by.

> > http://pleac.sourceforge.net/pleac_ruby/
> >
> > It has a lot of really good ideas in it, but it's kind of hit or miss
> > as far as Ruby idioms goes and looks to be out of date in places.
> >
> > Still, I think it could be a good resource if we collectively bug
> > whoever is running the project about idioms and whatnot and also help
> > fill in the holes.
> >
> > I only mention it because I don't see many links to it on popular ruby
> > sites, and I'm wondering if people have seen this, what they think of
> > it, and if they think it might be worth helping out with.
> >

> Take cover, everyone....
>
> (Search the archives for pleac.)

Haha... I just did. So it seems this project is centered around
writing perl in other languages essentially?

http://groups.google.com/group/comp....90d2baac3f0105

Hmm... not exactly my cup of tea. Though I do think something in
this spirit (but with more focus on writing ruby with it's idioms )
would be nice. I know O'Reilly is working on a cookbook, but it
would be nice to see a community maintained project...

James Gray

vjoel wrote:
> Gregory Brown wrote:
>> whoever is running the project about idioms and whatnot and also help
>> fill in the holes.
>>
>> I only mention it because I don't see many links to it on popular ruby
>> sites, and I'm wondering if people have seen this, what they think of
>> it, and if they think it might be worth helping out with.
>>

> Take cover, everyone....
>
> (Search the archives for pleac.)

I have to agree that it's a poor resource. I don't even understand
their goal, which seems to be, "To write all the Perl idioms in all
non-Perl languages."

James Edward Gray II

Gavin Sinclair

Gregory Brown wrote:

> Hmm... not exactly my cup of tea. Though I do think something in
> this spirit (but with more focus on writing ruby with it's idioms )
> would be nice. I know O'Reilly is working on a cookbook, but it
> would be nice to see a community maintained project...

Try (I think):

http://ruby-cookbook.rubyforge.org

Failing that, find Martin DeMello's email address on the list and ask
him

Gavin

Gregory Brown

On 11/24/05, Gavin Sinclair <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Try (I think):
>
> http://ruby-cookbook.rubyforge.org
>
> Failing that, find Martin DeMello's email address on the list and ask
> him

This was registered over a year ago and still hasn't released anything

But I might try getting ahold of him.