Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > MySQL Ruby On Windows , Why?

MySQL Ruby On Windows , Why?

Zach Dennis

Why does making the mysql-ruby .so suck so bad on windows? And for
anyone who has made it can they maybe post why they had to do to get it
to actually compile?

Zach

Park Heesob

Hi,

>From: Zach Dennis <(E-Mail Removed)>
>To: (E-Mail Removed) (ruby-talk ML)
>Subject: MySQL Ruby On Windows , Why?
>Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 02:44:51 +0900
>
>Why does making the mysql-ruby .so suck so bad on windows? And for anyone
>who has made it can they maybe post why they had to do to get it to
>actually compile?

Do you mean my posting
http://groups.google.co.kr/group/com...3a305604ee2299
It should be http://www.ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/sca...by-talk/161578
But why not archived?

I belive the mysql-ruby-win package was compiled with fastcall option.
Therefore the find_library checking for 'mysql_query' function is failed
with argument error.
The same to 'mysql_ssl_set' function.
So I change 'mysql_query' to 'mysql_reconnect' and remove 'mysql_ssl_set'
checking.

Regards,

Park Heesob

zdennis

Park Heesob wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> From: Zach Dennis <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> To: (E-Mail Removed) (ruby-talk ML)
>> Subject: MySQL Ruby On Windows , Why?
>> Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 02:44:51 +0900
>>
>> Why does making the mysql-ruby .so suck so bad on windows? And for
>> anyone who has made it can they maybe post why they had to do to get
>> it to actually compile?
>>

> Do you mean my posting
> http://groups.google.co.kr/group/com...3a305604ee2299
> It should be http://www.ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/sca...by-talk/161578
> But why not archived?
>
> I belive the mysql-ruby-win package was compiled with fastcall option.
> Therefore the find_library checking for 'mysql_query' function is failed
> with argument error.
> The same to 'mysql_ssl_set' function.
> So I change 'mysql_query' to 'mysql_reconnect' and remove
> 'mysql_ssl_set' checking.

Thank you Park for responding. Tomorrow when I get to the office I am
going to try to recompile following your previous post, and this last
post. With any luck I am going to throw it up on a few different spots
on the web so perhaps it will get out there a bit more.

And yes, I wish your message was archived, but I could not get to it via
the following:
http://www.ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/sca...by-talk/161578

Thanks again,

Zach

Zach Dennis

zdennis wrote:
> Park Heesob wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> From: Zach Dennis <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> To: (E-Mail Removed) (ruby-talk ML)
>>> Subject: MySQL Ruby On Windows , Why?
>>> Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 02:44:51 +0900
>>>
>>> Why does making the mysql-ruby .so suck so bad on windows? And for
>>> anyone who has made it can they maybe post why they had to do to get
>>> it to actually compile?
>>>

>> Do you mean my posting
>> http://groups.google.co.kr/group/com...3a305604ee2299
>> It should be
>> http://www.ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/sca...by-talk/161578
>> But why not archived?
>>
>> I belive the mysql-ruby-win package was compiled with fastcall option.
>> Therefore the find_library checking for 'mysql_query' function is
>> failed with argument error.
>> The same to 'mysql_ssl_set' function.
>> So I change 'mysql_query' to 'mysql_reconnect' and remove
>> 'mysql_ssl_set' checking.
>>

> Thank you Park for responding. Tomorrow when I get to the office I am
> going to try to recompile following your previous post, and this last
> post. With any luck I am going to throw it up on a few different spots
> on the web so perhaps it will get out there a bit more.

I am running Windows 2k. I tried the solution that worked for you on
Windows XP but I still get...

ruby extconf.rb --with-mysql-include="C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL
Server 4.1\include" --with-mysql-lib="C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL
Server 4.1\lib\opt"

checking for mysql_reconnect() in mysqlclient.lib... no
checking for main() in m.lib... yes
checking for mysql_reconnect() in mysqlclient.lib... no
checking for main() in z.lib... no
checking for mysql_reconnect() in mysqlclient.lib... no
checking for main() in socket.lib... no
checking for mysql_reconnect() in mysqlclient.lib... no
checking for main() in nsl.lib... no
checking for mysql_reconnect() in mysqlclient.lib... no

I have verified the location of my lib files and my include files, but
no go. Perhaps I will just download your binary =)

Zach

Park Heesob

Hi,

>From: Zach Dennis <(E-Mail Removed)>
>To: (E-Mail Removed) (ruby-talk ML)
>Subject: Re: MySQL Ruby On Windows , Why?
>Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:56:36 +0900
>
>zdennis wrote:
>>Park Heesob wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,

>>>Do you mean my posting
>>>http://groups.google.co.kr/group/com...3a305604ee2299
>>>It should be
>>>http://www.ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/sca...by-talk/161578
>>>But why not archived?
>>>
>>>I belive the mysql-ruby-win package was compiled with fastcall option.
>>>Therefore the find_library checking for 'mysql_query' function is failed
>>>with argument error.
>>>The same to 'mysql_ssl_set' function.
>>>So I change 'mysql_query' to 'mysql_reconnect' and remove 'mysql_ssl_set'
>>>checking.
>>>

>>Thank you Park for responding. Tomorrow when I get to the office I am
>>going to try to recompile following your previous post, and this last
>>post. With any luck I am going to throw it up on a few different spots on
>>the web so perhaps it will get out there a bit more.

>I am running Windows 2k. I tried the solution that worked for you on
>Windows XP but I still get...
>
>ruby extconf.rb --with-mysql-include="C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server
>4.1\include" --with-mysql-lib="C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server
>4.1\lib\opt"
>
>checking for mysql_reconnect() in mysqlclient.lib... no
>checking for main() in m.lib... yes
>checking for mysql_reconnect() in mysqlclient.lib... no
>checking for main() in z.lib... no
>checking for mysql_reconnect() in mysqlclient.lib... no
>checking for main() in socket.lib... no
>checking for mysql_reconnect() in mysqlclient.lib... no
>checking for main() in nsl.lib... no
>checking for mysql_reconnect() in mysqlclient.lib... no
>
>I have verified the location of my lib files and my include files, but no
>go. Perhaps I will just download your binary =)

Didn't you remove the line
libs = ['m', 'z', 'socket', 'nsl']
from extconf.rb ?
Please try with the same patched extconf.rb as in my previous post.

Regards,

Park Heesob

Zach Dennis

Park Heesob wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> From: Zach Dennis <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> To: (E-Mail Removed) (ruby-talk ML)
>> Subject: Re: MySQL Ruby On Windows , Why?
>> Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:56:36 +0900
>>
>> zdennis wrote:

>>> Thank you Park for responding. Tomorrow when I get to the office I am
>>> going to try to recompile following your previous post, and this last
>>> post. With any luck I am going to throw it up on a few different
>>> spots on the web so perhaps it will get out there a bit more.

>> I am running Windows 2k. I tried the solution that worked for you on
>> Windows XP but I still get...
>>
>> ruby extconf.rb --with-mysql-include="C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL
>> Server 4.1\include" --with-mysql-lib="C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL
>> Server 4.1\lib\opt"
>>
>> checking for mysql_reconnect() in mysqlclient.lib... no
>> checking for main() in m.lib... yes
>> checking for mysql_reconnect() in mysqlclient.lib... no
>> checking for main() in z.lib... no
>> checking for mysql_reconnect() in mysqlclient.lib... no
>> checking for main() in socket.lib... no
>> checking for mysql_reconnect() in mysqlclient.lib... no
>> checking for main() in nsl.lib... no
>> checking for mysql_reconnect() in mysqlclient.lib... no
>>
>> I have verified the location of my lib files and my include files, but
>> no go. Perhaps I will just download your binary =)
>>

> Didn't you remove the line
> libs = ['m', 'z', 'socket', 'nsl']
> from extconf.rb ?
> Please try with the same patched extconf.rb as in my previous post.

Using your patch from the google group posting, I get:

checking for mysql_query() in mysqlclient.lib... no
extconf.rb:14: undefined method `empty?' for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)

This is because your patch removes the "libs = [ ...]" line, but you
don't affect the the other lines that refer to the libs array...

any more thoughts? (Could you paste your Makefile?)

Thanks,

Zach

Curt Hibbs

------=_Part_4346_15399786.1130445722117

Zach, I'm following this thread closely. I gave up trying to make the
extension for InstantRails and just ended up using Park's precompiled
version. But I eventually want to be able to build it myself, I just don't
have the time right now.

So, please do (when you've got it all figured out) post a set of coherent
instructions. I will be forever in your debt (and Park's, too)!

Curt

Curt Hibbs wrote:
> Zach, I'm following this thread closely. I gave up trying to make the
> extension for InstantRails and just ended up using Park's precompiled
> version. But I eventually want to be able to build it myself, I just don't
> have the time right now.

Curt,

What versions of MySQL are you running? Park's precompiled doesn't work
on my system with MySQL 4.1.15. I can require 'mysql' and all, but
whenever I try to actually use it, I get crazy errors about control
characters in my code.

Zach