Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [ANN] WhyRuby? repository has moved to ruby-doc.org

Reply
Thread Tools

[ANN] WhyRuby? repository has moved to ruby-doc.org

 
 
Curt Hibbs
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-24-2005
------=_Part_11156_8251590.1130164134055
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

WhyRuby? was a project on RubyForge that I started to collect advocacy
material for Ruby, and consists mostly of presentations on Ruby and Rails.
There are lots of really good presentations in the repository, and if you
are putting together a presentation on Ruby or Rails you should definitely
take a look at what is available here.

However, as the Ruby community has grown so much over the past year, I felt
that the WhyRuby? repository wasn't getting much visibility. I'll bet that
some of you reading this are hearing about WhyRuby? for the very first time=
!

So, in the interest in giving this valuable resource a much needed boost in
continued visibility, I am happy to announce that James Britt has agreed to
host this collection of presentations on rubydoc.org <http://rubydoc.org>.
There is a link to the repository on the ruby-doc home page:

http://ruby-doc.org/

and the repository itself can be found here:

http://ruby-doc.org/whyruby/

If you have a presentation on Ruby, Rails, or any other useful advocacy
materials, please consider sending them to ruby-doc for inclusion in the
repository. If you have bookmarks to WhyRuby?, please update them for their
new home (the old site will be going away).

Many thanks to those of you who have already contributed, and many thanks t=
o
James Britt for agreeing to rehost this repository on ruby-doc.

Curt

------=_Part_11156_8251590.1130164134055--


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ed Howland
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-24-2005
On 10/24/05, Curt Hibbs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> http://ruby-doc.org/
>
> and the repository itself can be found here:
>
> http://ruby-doc.org/whyruby/


Great Curt. One small suggestion. Can you put a <title>Why
Ruby?</title> on the page? This would make it play nicer in bookmarks
and esp. del.icio.us descriptions.

Ed

>
> Curt
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
James Britt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-24-2005
Ed Howland wrote:
> On 10/24/05, Curt Hibbs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>http://ruby-doc.org/
>>
>>and the repository itself can be found here:
>>
>>http://ruby-doc.org/whyruby/

>
>
> Great Curt. One small suggestion. Can you put a <title>Why
> Ruby?</title> on the page? This would make it play nicer in bookmarks
> and esp. del.icio.us descriptions.


I'll do that; requests for page changes and such should go to me, rather
than Curt.

Send such requests to

suggestions AT ruby-doc DOT org

Thanks,

James Britt
--

http://www.ruby-doc.org - The Ruby Documentation Site
http://www.rubyxml.com - News, Articles, and Listings for Ruby & XML
http://www.rubystuff.com - The Ruby Store for Ruby Stuff
http://www.jamesbritt.com - Playing with Better Toys


 
Reply With Quote
 
Michael Fellinger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-24-2005
--nextPart5313537.GPWSkaP43N
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

I have browsed the stuff a bit, but one thing i would love to be able to se=
e=20
is the "The Top 10 Reasons The Ruby Programming Language Sucks!".
My problem is, that as far is i could google it up, this insanly big xml-fi=
le=20
is used by some apple-presentation-program that i do not own...
Is there someone out there who could convert this to something OpenOffice2 =
is=20
happy with?
Since it looks like a really good presentation, guessing only by viewing so=
me=20
of the text in the xml and the pictures.

thx in pre
manveru

Am Montag 24 Oktober 2005 16:28 schrieb Curt Hibbs:
> WhyRuby? was a project on RubyForge that I started to collect advocacy
> material for Ruby, and consists mostly of presentations on Ruby and Rails.
> There are lots of really good presentations in the repository, and if you
> are putting together a presentation on Ruby or Rails you should definitely
> take a look at what is available here.
>
> However, as the Ruby community has grown so much over the past year, I fe=

lt
> that the WhyRuby? repository wasn't getting much visibility. I'll bet that
> some of you reading this are hearing about WhyRuby? for the very first
> time!
>
> So, in the interest in giving this valuable resource a much needed boost =

in
> continued visibility, I am happy to announce that James Britt has agreed =

to
> host this collection of presentations on rubydoc.org <http://rubydoc.org>.
> There is a link to the repository on the ruby-doc home page:
>
> http://ruby-doc.org/
>
> and the repository itself can be found here:
>
> http://ruby-doc.org/whyruby/
>
> If you have a presentation on Ruby, Rails, or any other useful advocacy
> materials, please consider sending them to ruby-doc for inclusion in the
> repository. If you have bookmarks to WhyRuby?, please update them for the=

ir
> new home (the old site will be going away).
>
> Many thanks to those of you who have already contributed, and many thanks
> to James Britt for agreeing to rehost this repository on ruby-doc.
>
> Curt


--nextPart5313537.GPWSkaP43N
Content-Type: application/pgp-signature

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQBDXUknMdQeL6eBxhIRAublAKCfDPIhzSRQZefSFLUhqZ dJlbxv6ACgmCsh
MMtsFF/+IqeUOhGlvzdL1ZM=
=leEN
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--nextPart5313537.GPWSkaP43N--


 
Reply With Quote
 
James Edward Gray II
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-24-2005
On Oct 24, 2005, at 3:50 PM, Michael Fellinger wrote:

> I have browsed the stuff a bit, but one thing i would love to be
> able to see
> is the "The Top 10 Reasons The Ruby Programming Language Sucks!".
> My problem is, that as far is i could google it up, this insanly
> big xml-file
> is used by some apple-presentation-program that i do not own...
> Is there someone out there who could convert this to something
> OpenOffice2 is
> happy with?


It's my presentation. I gave it to the University of Central
Oklahoma recently and I think it went well.

It is a Keynote file, as you've noticed. I let it in that format for
all us Mac guys that want presentations too. I'll convert it to
PowerPoint and post a link later. It doesn't translate perfectly,
but it gets pretty close.

James Edward Gray II



 
Reply With Quote
 
James Edward Gray II
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-24-2005
On Oct 24, 2005, at 3:57 PM, James Edward Gray II wrote:

> I'll convert it to PowerPoint and post a link later. It doesn't
> translate perfectly, but it gets pretty close.


Here's a PowerPoint version:

http://grayproductions.net/ruby/why_ruby_sucks.zip

James Edward Gray II



 
Reply With Quote
 
James Britt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-24-2005
James Edward Gray II wrote:
> On Oct 24, 2005, at 3:57 PM, James Edward Gray II wrote:
>
>> I'll convert it to PowerPoint and post a link later. It doesn't
>> translate perfectly, but it gets pretty close.

>
>
> Here's a PowerPoint version:
>
> http://grayproductions.net/ruby/why_ruby_sucks.zip
>


Thanks; I've updated the site.



James

--

http://www.ruby-doc.org - The Ruby Documentation Site
http://www.rubyxml.com - News, Articles, and Listings for Ruby & XML
http://www.rubystuff.com - The Ruby Store for Ruby Stuff
http://www.jamesbritt.com - Playing with Better Toys


 
Reply With Quote
 
Michael Fellinger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2005
--nextPart1143436.NeOHb03P4r
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

Thank you as well,

The presentation is really good - i think i will put it on a simple webpage=
to=20
give newbies a really quick intro into ruby

so long...
manveru

Am Dienstag 25 Oktober 2005 01:19 schrieb James Edward Gray II:
> On Oct 24, 2005, at 3:57 PM, James Edward Gray II wrote:
> > I'll convert it to PowerPoint and post a link later. It doesn't
> > translate perfectly, but it gets pretty close.

>
> Here's a PowerPoint version:
>
> http://grayproductions.net/ruby/why_ruby_sucks.zip
>
> James Edward Gray II


--nextPart1143436.NeOHb03P4r
Content-Type: application/pgp-signature

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQBDXd9xMdQeL6eBxhIRAn/OAKDmgErBnr39hqhho3oCYrOzFHiq6QCg4O3D
SfHJov/RKDtkKoU9cgFrQv4=
=JDy3
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--nextPart1143436.NeOHb03P4r--


 
Reply With Quote
 
Patrick Gundlach
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2005


>
> It is a Keynote file, as you've noticed. I let it in that format for
> all us Mac guys that want presentations too. I'll convert it to
> PowerPoint and post a link later. It doesn't translate perfectly,
> but it gets pretty close.



Any chance of a (stipped down?) PDF version? I don't have PP nor
Keynote.


Thanks,

Patrick
 
Reply With Quote
 
Edwin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2005
OpenOffice (2) opens it perfectly (and should be able to convert it to pd=
f)

Edwin


On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 11:17:01 +0100, Patrick Gundlach =20
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>
>>
>> It is a Keynote file, as you've noticed. I let it in that format for
>> all us Mac guys that want presentations too. I'll convert it to
>> PowerPoint and post a link later. It doesn't translate perfectly,
>> but it gets pretty close.

>
>
> Any chance of a (stipped down?) PDF version? I don't have PP nor
> Keynote.
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Patrick
>
>
>





 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anyone used Vapor (PostgreSQL persistent Object-Repository for Ruby)? Abe Vionas_MailingList Ruby 1 10-26-2004 05:59 AM
has .net/microsoft/hotmail support moved to dot-headland? Ronnie G Computer Support 0 08-17-2004 12:52 AM
determining when a file has been moved/changed Rob Baxter Java 3 07-28-2004 03:54 PM
ANN: Yahoo Macromedia Dreamweaver Club has moved Mike HTML 3 05-31-2004 06:18 PM
"Object has moved" Toeknee ASP .Net 0 12-14-2003 01:55 AM



Advertisments