Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Agile Web Development with Rails Book

Agile Web Development with Rails Book

cyx.ucron@gmail.com

hello to all,

i just like to ask if the book is up to date with the current / latest
release of rails, or if it indicates deprecated method names /
approaches / techniques.

yours,

cyx

Patrick Hurley

On 10/20/05, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> i just like to ask if the book is up to date with the current / latest
> release of rails, or if it indicates deprecated method names /
> approaches / techniques.

The book is up to date, there have been a few additions to Rails since
it was written, but nothing in the book is depreciated or changed. I
will also offer a personal recommendation -- I have it and have found
it valuable.

pth

Peter Burns

------=_Part_4073_11539098.1129953884056

Does the book covers the latest features and changes in version 0.14? I
haven't generated a new copy of it in a little while (and I couldn't see ho=
to do so from their site), but last I checked it didn't cover things like
Active Migrations, Switchtower, and the like.

Of course, I should also say that quality-wise the book is excellent. I
probably wouldn't have learned Rails without it, and it's a huge step up
from anything else that I know for learning Rails at the moment, but as far
as I know it isn't up to date on the newest version.

On 10/21/05, Patrick Hurley <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote:

> On 10/20/05, (E-Mail Removed) < (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > i just like to ask if the book is up to date with the current / latest
> > release of rails, or if it indicates deprecated method names /
> > approaches / techniques.

> The book is up to date, there have been a few additions to Rails since
> it was written, but nothing in the book is depreciated or changed. I
> will also offer a personal recommendation -- I have it and have found
> it valuable.
>
> pth

------=_Part_4073_11539098.1129953884056--

Peter Burns

*Does the book _cover_ the latest features...

Sorry for the double post, but that's such a glaring mistake.

On 10/22/05, Peter Burns <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Does the book covers the latest features and changes in version 0.14? I
> haven't generated a new copy of it in a little while (and I couldn't see =

how
> to do so from their site), but last I checked it didn't cover things like
> Active Migrations, Switchtower, and the like.
>
> Of course, I should also say that quality-wise the book is excellent. I
> probably wouldn't have learned Rails without it, and it's a huge step up
> from anything else that I know for learning Rails at the moment, but as f=

ar
> as I know it isn't up to date on the newest version.
>
> On 10/21/05, Patrick Hurley <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote:
> >
> > On 10/20/05, (E-Mail Removed) < (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > i just like to ask if the book is up to date with the current / lates=

> > > release of rails, or if it indicates deprecated method names /
> > > approaches / techniques.

> > The book is up to date, there have been a few additions to Rails since
> > it was written, but nothing in the book is depreciated or changed. I
> > will also offer a personal recommendation -- I have it and have found
> > it valuable.
> >
> > pth

zdennis

Peter Burns wrote:
> *Does the book _cover_ the latest features...

no, the agile web development with rails book does cover things like
SwitchTower or Acive Migration.

My bet is books covering these topics will come out soon. Anyone know
for sure on this?

Zach

Stephen Waits

zdennis wrote:
> Peter Burns wrote:
>> *Does the book _cover_ the latest features...

> no, the agile web development with rails book does cover things like
> SwitchTower or Acive Migration.

s/does/does not/ ?

--Steve

zdennis

Stephen Waits wrote:
> zdennis wrote:
>
>> Peter Burns wrote:
>>
>>> *Does the book _cover_ the latest features...

>> no, the agile web development with rails book does cover things like
>> SwitchTower or Acive Migration.

> s/does/does not/ ?

yeah my bad, that is *does not*

Zach

cyx.ucron@gmail.com

thanks for the feedback. *off to buy the book*

Dave Thomas

On Oct 22, 2005, at 12:11 AM, zdennis wrote:

> no, the agile web development with rails book does cover things
> like SwitchTower or Acive Migration.

Not yet. I'm waiting for things to settle down a tad, and then will
start working on it. I estimate several man-months of work, so don't
hold your collective breath. However, we will be the first book to
have 1.0 coverage.

Folks with the PDF will continue to be able to upgrade it for free,
both now and after the updates are in.

Cheers

Dave

Jeremy Kemper