Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Ruby for Python/OO developer

Ruby for Python/OO developer

Achim Domma (SyynX Solutions GmbH)

Hi,

I'm a experienced Python developer (also other OO languages, like C++,
C#, Java). Until now I had no reason to look at ruby because I love
Python, but I'm very interested in Rails.

Could somebody probose a good tutorial for me? I'm not interested in
'how to program' and so one. My target is clearly Rails. Is there
something for 'language-switchers' available?

regards,
Achim

Joe Van Dyk

Joe Van Dyk wrote:

> Honestly, the best documentation / tutorial out there is the Agile Web
> Development book by Dave Thomas and DHH. You can get the PDF or
> hard-copy from http://www.pragprog.com.

I had already a look at the website, but the book does not seem to
contain a introduction to Ruby. Because I'm new to Ruby, I think I
should learn some basics first.

regards,
Achim

Joe Van Dyk

Damphyr

Achim Domma (SyynX Solutions GmbH) wrote:
> Joe Van Dyk wrote:
>
>> Honestly, the best documentation / tutorial out there is the Agile
>> Web Development book by Dave Thomas and DHH. You can get the PDF or
>> hard-copy from http://www.pragprog.com.

> I had already a look at the website, but the book does not seem to
> contain a introduction to Ruby. Because I'm new to Ruby, I think I
> should learn some basics first.

Well, nothing like the Pickaxe book. You can start with the first
Edition (which is a pleasure to read), I recommend buying the second
edition as it is invaluable as a reference, and you can also read the
chapters online on www.ruby-doc.org.#
Cheers,
V.-

--
http://www.braveworld.net/riva

http://www.freemail.gr - δωρεάν υπηρεσία ηλεκτρονικού ταχυδρομείου.

Timothy Hunter

Achim Domma (SyynX Solutions GmbH) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a experienced Python developer (also other OO languages, like C++,
> C#, Java). Until now I had no reason to look at ruby because I love
> Python, but I'm very interested in Rails.
>
> Could somebody probose a good tutorial for me? I'm not interested in
> 'how to program' and so one. My target is clearly Rails. Is there
> something for 'language-switchers' available?
>
> regards,
> Achim

_why's (poignant) guide to ruby

http://www.poignantguide.net/ruby/

Also look around www.ruby-doc.org

Gene Tani

http://blog.ianbicking.org/ruby-python-power.html
http://www.ruby-doc.org/RubyEyeForThePythonGuy.html
http://onestepback.org/index.cgi/Tec...onAndRuby.rdoc
http://www.approximity.com/ruby/Comp...st_m_java.html
http://www.jvoegele.com/software/langcomp.html
http://reflectivesurface.com/weblog/...2/19/why-rails

also look in the back of Ruby Way book, there's perl to ruby and python
to ruby transition chapters.

Achim Domma (SyynX Solutions GmbH) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a experienced Python developer (also other OO languages, like C++,
> C#, Java). Until now I had no reason to look at ruby because I love
> Python, but I'm very interested in Rails.
>
> Could somebody probose a good tutorial for me? I'm not interested in

Gene Tani

Peter Burns

I was in the same boat as you Achim, experienced Python guy who got
into Ruby because of Rails. Now it's my favorite language. I learned
on Agile Web Development and The Pickaxe, but there's definitely a lot
of the Pickaxe that I skimmed past. The most important section for
you is probably the one on blocks. Beyond that, you might want to run
through the section on Regular Expressions pretty quickly, as the
syntax may be a bit unfamiliar, specifically String.scan. Play around
with rubygems and irb (equivalent to the python interactive shell).=20
Oh, and a couple things that will be helpful to pick up rails quickly:

Things that begin with a colon, e.g. :action, or :controller, are
symbols, which are similar to Strings, save that they're more
efficient for certain comparison operations. That and method calls
like has_and belongs_to_many in class definitions are actually methods
that tend to modify the class definition that they're in.

On 10/17/05, Gene Tani <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (I knew i had a lot of links somewhere)
>
> http://pleac.sourceforge.net/
> http://martinfowler.com/bliki/Collec...ureMethod.html
> http://onestepback.org/articles/10things
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userb...mments=3Dtrue=

&entry=3D3284695382
> http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2005/08/27/Ruby
>
> BTW, Welcome to ruby, and maybe the komodo 3.5 alpha/beta for ruby can
> help

snacktime

------=_Part_8941_31193085.1129568888105

Programming Ruby from the pragmatic bookshelf is a great guide to most of
what you will need to get going, and it has a good reference section. I cam=
from a strong perl/python background and this book has been invaluable.

Chris

------=_Part_8941_31193085.1129568888105--