Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Building a basic FTP server.

Building a basic FTP server.

George Razvan NICA

Hello everyone,

I need to implement a basic FTP server. Requested features are:

* anonymous ftp access (or simply no login)
* chroot user to a specific directory
* client must be able to upload files
* no "LIST", "RETR", "DELE", "CWD", "PWD", "RMD", "MKD", etc.
* server must support concurrent uploads from different clients

Hopefully, someone has already written something like this or can point
me to the right place to start. A working code snippet would be very useful.

TIA,
George Razvan NICA

James Edward Gray II

On Oct 12, 2005, at 4:54 AM, George Razvan NICA wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I need to implement a basic FTP server. Requested features are:
>
> * anonymous ftp access (or simply no login)
> * chroot user to a specific directory
> * client must be able to upload files
> * no "LIST", "RETR", "DELE", "CWD", "PWD", "RMD", "MKD", etc.
> * server must support concurrent uploads from different clients
>
> Hopefully, someone has already written something like this or can
> point me to the right place to start. A working code snippet would
> be very useful.

Are you aware of Net::FTP in the standard library? I don't know how
far it would get you to the above list, but if nothing else it should
be the place to steal ideas from.

James Edward Gray II