Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Installing a gem locally (RubyForge.org unreachable)

Installing a gem locally (RubyForge.org unreachable)

Phrogz

I'm trying to get a coworker set up, and rubygems isn't working,
because rubyforge.org is down[1].

I have the .gem file on my machine. How can I tell rubygems "Hey, the
gem is sitting right here in this very directory! Install from this!"?

[1] Tracing route to rubyforge.org [66.92.150.242]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <10 ms <10 ms <10 ms 69.46.18.1
2 <10 ms <10 ms <10 ms 69.46.31.77
3 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 38.112.240.53
4 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms 66.28.4.141
5 11 ms 11 ms 12 ms 66.28.4.154
6 31 ms 30 ms 30 ms 154.54.10.130
7 30 ms 30 ms 31 ms 205.171.21.101
8 32 ms 31 ms 33 ms 205.171.8.154
9 30 ms 37 ms 31 ms 205.171.8.222
10 30 ms 37 ms 38 ms 205.171.251.14
11 30 ms 31 ms 30 ms 65.126.30.174
12 * * * Request timed out.

Phrogz

Just as I posted this, rubyforge.org seems to be back up again. So
crisis averted.

But the original question I've still wondered for a while now: How do
you ask RubyGems to install a supplied .gem file?

Tom Copeland

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 04:56 +0900, Phrogz wrote:
> I'm trying to get a coworker set up, and rubygems isn't working,
> because rubyforge.org is down[1].

Back up now...

Yours,

tom

Jagged

gem install rails -l (that is an "el")

Damphyr

Jagged wrote:
> gem install rails -l (that is an "el")

Well, this is the correct way, but you can also run 'gem install ' on
the directory you have the gem file (the dirty lazy way ).
gem looks for a local file before going "overseas".
Cheers,
V.-
--
http://www.braveworld.net/riva

http://www.freemail.gr - δωρεάν υπηρεσία ηλεκτρονικού ταχυδρομείου.

Phrogz

Does that assume that there is a "rails.gem" file in the current
directory? In the gems library folder? Somewhere else?

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

On Oct 12, 2005, at 8:06 AM, Phrogz wrote:

> Does that assume that there is a "rails.gem" file in the current
> directory? In the gems library folder? Somewhere else?

One unambigous way to install a .gem file locally is to cd into the
dir where the .gem file is and spell it out:

gem install mygem.gem

This always seems to work for me.
Cheers-
-Ezra Zygmuntowicz