Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [meta] Why do some of my posts turn into weird multi-part mimedocuments?

[meta] Why do some of my posts turn into weird multi-part mimedocuments?

David A. Black

Hi --

Every time I reply to Brian Schroeder (hi Brian! my post gets
turned into a multipart mime document, and when I view it (in Pine) I
get told that it's "Empty or malformed".

And today it happened when I replied to Peter v. N. See
http://www.wobblini.net/~dblack/raw.txt to see the whole thing.

Brian posted to that thread too... but I guess that's just coincidence
(?).

If anyone knows what's causing this, or how to make it stop, please
let me know. (I'm not in the market to stop using Pine, so we can
bypass the discussion of mail readers

Thanks --

David

--
David A. Black

Peter Vanbroekhoven

--981873195-1048915661-1129044955=:19446

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, David A. Black wrote:

> Hi --
>
> Every time I reply to Brian Schroeder (hi Brian! my post gets
> turned into a multipart mime document, and when I view it (in Pine) I
> get told that it's "Empty or malformed".
>
> And today it happened when I replied to Peter v. N. See
> http://www.wobblini.net/~dblack/raw.txt to see the whole thing.
>
> Brian posted to that thread too... but I guess that's just coincidence
> (?).
>
> If anyone knows what's causing this, or how to make it stop, please
> let me know. (I'm not in the market to stop using Pine, so we can
> bypass the discussion of mail readers

I think it has to do with non-ascii characters. Brian Schr=F6der's name=20
contains one such character, and Peter v. N.'s email contains one too ("=E0=
=20
la"). My Pine reacts the same (creates a multipart message when replying),=
=20
except it doesn't complain about malformed messages anymore after I=20
upgraded to 4.61. I don't know how to make it stop though. I just went=20
through all options and didn't see anything relevant, but that may be=20
because I haven't got a clue as to why Pine actually does it that way.

Peter

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, Peter Vanbroekhoven wrote:

> except it doesn't complain about malformed messages anymore after I upgraded
> to 4.61.

Scratch that comment. I just looked at Brian's reply to Peter's post and
it was not malformed, but yours supposedly is and so is Ara's, yet
Martin's is not. Ara seems to use Pine too. Funny how Pine complains about
something it created itself.

Peter

Brian Schröder

On 11/10/05, David A. Black <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi --
>
> Every time I reply to Brian Schroeder (hi Brian! my post gets
> turned into a multipart mime document, and when I view it (in Pine) I
> get told that it's "Empty or malformed".
>
> And today it happened when I replied to Peter v. N. See
> http://www.wobblini.net/~dblack/raw.txt to see the whole thing.
>
> Brian posted to that thread too... but I guess that's just coincidence
> (?).
>
> If anyone knows what's causing this, or how to make it stop, please
> let me know. (I'm not in the market to stop using Pine, so we can
> bypass the discussion of mail readers
>
> Thanks --
>

> David

Hello David,

sorry for the bad magic. I'm using gmail if that is of any helpfull informa=
tion.

regards,

brian

calamitates@gmail.com

Brian Schröder wrote:

> sorry for the bad magic. I'm using gmail if that is of any helpfull information.

I don't think it's related to gmail, I think it's your name that's the
problem. Or more specifically the ö. Peter v. N.'s post contained an
ā. So I suspect non-ASCII characters to be the cause of this behavior
in Pine. I have no idea how to turn it off though.

I've actually already posted this to ruby-talk, but it hasn't shown up
there yet (or ta least not in my inbox), while it has arrived in clr
for two hours already.

Peter