Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Looking for a parser generator

Looking for a parser generator

Edgardo Hames

Hi all,

I'm looking for a nice parser generator which given an EBNF grammar
can build an AST and Rockit seems a very good option. However, I keep
getting errors when trying to run the examples on Ruby 1.8. I've also
seen some other people complaining on the list because they run into
similar problems. Is this project dead? What other options can I
choose from?

Thanks,
Ed
--
Encontr=E1 a "Tu psic=F3pata favorito" http://tuxmaniac.blogspot.com
=09

Rutger Nijlunsing

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 03:50:11AM +0900, Edgardo Hames wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a nice parser generator which given an EBNF grammar
> can build an AST and Rockit seems a very good option. However, I keep
> getting errors when trying to run the examples on Ruby 1.8. I've also
> seen some other people complaining on the list because they run into
> similar problems. Is this project dead? What other options can I
> choose from?

racc: nice and simple, runtime included in default Ruby distribution
(...though not the generator itself).

http://i.loveruby.net/en/man/racc/grammar.html appears to have a
tutorial.

Download http://www.wingding.demon.nl/ -> Rpay2 for an example for
actual usage.

--
Rutger Nijlunsing ----------------------------------------------------
never attribute to a conspiracy which can be explained by incompetence

Mark Probert

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 03:50 +0900, Edgardo Hames wrote:

> I'm looking for a nice parser generator which given an EBNF grammar
> can build an AST and Rockit seems a very good option.

Depending on what you are after, the EBNF and attributes, one of
the Coco/R tools may be suitable. There are two, one pure Ruby and
the other for C extensions. Note that they are both LL(1) with
single token look-ahead, so that may, or may not, suit your
style.

Regards,

-mark.