Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > In your opinion....

In your opinion....

Daniel Lewis

In your opinion(s)....

What is ruby better for and why?
I am talking mainly about is Ruby better for web based development
(i.e. Ruby on Rails)? or other stuff, whether it be scientific,
business or technological?

Thank you all for your answers.

Daniel Lewis.

Gennady Bystritksy

Daniel Lewis wrote:
> In your opinion(s)....
>
> What is ruby better for and why?
> I am talking mainly about is Ruby better for web based development
> (i.e. Ruby on Rails)? or other stuff, whether it be scientific,
> business or technological?
>
> Thank you all for your answers.
>
> Daniel Lewis.

Too lazy to do your own research? It happens . For a starter, check
out http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RealWorldRuby

Gennady.

Daniel Lewis

> Too lazy to do your own research? It happens . For a starter, check
> out http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RealWorldRuby

Thats quite a good little page... thanks. However, I am asking you
lot, in your experience what is Ruby good for.

Mike Pence

I am new to Ruby, but its expressiveness as a language is profound.
So, I would say that any application where you want to achieve a high
level of functionality with a fraction of the lines of code and
overall effort of other approaches is a great fit for Ruby.

Of course, there are problem domains where Ruby is not a good fit. For
systems-level development, you want to use C or Assembler. For complex
mathematical modelling, there are functional programming languages
that are a better fit. But for most business and internet apps, Ruby
can't be beat.

Mike Pence

Daniel Lewis

On 29/09/05, Mike Pence <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "For complex mathematical modelling, there are functional programming lan=

guages
> that are a better fit."

OK I agree with what you say about this. But according to this site:
http://www.jvoegele.com/software/langcomp.html
Ruby has the ability to be used as a functional language (as well as
Smalltalk, Python, Perl and Eiffel).

In my final year of university (which starts in September 2006), I
will be learning Hugs (a Haskell varient) for Functional
Programming... it will be interesting how it compares to Ruby, and I
would like to learn how to use Ruby as a functional language.

I'll be using Ruby for my dissertation, I'll be developing some type
of program that uses Fuzzy Logic... possibly something to do with
Robotics, Agents or Control... not sure yet.

Please continue to discuss,

Thanks,

Daniel.

Robert Klemme

Daniel Lewis wrote:
> In your opinion(s)....
>
> What is ruby better for and why?
> I am talking mainly about is Ruby better for web based development
> (i.e. Ruby on Rails)? or other stuff, whether it be scientific,
> business or technological?

Do you mean better compared to language X or do you mean what application
area Ruby suits best?

IMHO it's very good for scripting and learning (programming in general and
especially OO).

Kind regards

robert

Kevin Brown

On Thursday 29 September 2005 09:55, Daniel Lewis wrote:
> On 29/09/05, Mike Pence <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > "For complex mathematical modelling, there are functional programming
> > languages that are a better fit."

> OK I agree with what you say about this. But according to this site:
> http://www.jvoegele.com/software/langcomp.html
> Ruby has the ability to be used as a functional language (as well as
> Smalltalk, Python, Perl and Eiffel).

Yes, you can. The opinion expressed above was simply that those other
languages are a better fit.

> In my final year of university (which starts in September 2006), I
> will be learning Hugs (a Haskell varient) for Functional
> Programming... it will be interesting how it compares to Ruby, and I
> would like to learn how to use Ruby as a functional language.

Um....it's not hard...? Just don't define classes and do function calls.
It's like trying to "learn" how to use C++ as a functional language.
Eventually, everything collapses to a functional level because it has to to
get executed by the processor. One instruction at a time. So you just don't
use the extra OO framework built into ruby, instead pretending that def gives
you a function instead of a method.

> I'll be using Ruby for my dissertation, I'll be developing some type
> of program that uses Fuzzy Logic... possibly something to do with
> Robotics, Agents or Control... not sure yet.

Cool.

> Please continue to discuss,
>
> Thanks,
>
> Daniel.

Mike Pence

Specifically, I was thinking of whatever it is that Mathematica uses
and PL1 -- Ruby is declarative programming language with functional
aspects, but I don't think it is a purely functional programming
languages. Otherwise, wouldn't we be writing functions instead of
methods?

Daniel Lewis

> Do you mean better compared to language X or do you mean what application
> area Ruby suits best?

What application... but if you have made a tool in ruby and another
language... you could tell us about it.

Daniel.

Rob Rypka

------=_Part_6247_15326877.1128010759549

On 9/29/05, Daniel Lewis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Too lazy to do your own research? It happens . For a starter, check
> > out http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RealWorldRuby

> Thats quite a good little page... thanks. However, I am asking you
> lot, in your experience what is Ruby good for.

If you watch this list for a while, you'll start to recognize some of the
names on that page .

Anyways, I've carrying around some loose change, so you can have my $0.02:

I am probably one of the few people on this list who haven't used Rails (I
installed it, and I intend to, but I'm too busy/lazy). I think that Ruby
excels in a number of areas.

The first is as a "glue language," which is something that Perl is generall=
attributed to. This usually involves text processing, and between the
Perl-like regular expressions features, OO and Mixins, and iterators/blocks=
,
this becomes cake.

An example: At work, we used Ruby to convert strace output from a build to =
list of compiler calls, so we could send them to another compiler-like tool=