Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > A question about Intelligent Systems and using Ruby

Reply
Thread Tools

A question about Intelligent Systems and using Ruby

 
 
Daniel Lewis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-22-2005
Yesterday (21/09/2005) I sent an email to Dave Thomas (author of
Programming Ruby [Progmatic Programmers]) asking him about something
he had written in his preface.

In his preface he wrote:
"People are writing artificial intelligence and machine learning
programs in Ruby, and at least one person is using it to investigate
natural evolution. Ruby's finding a home as a vehicle for exploratory
mathematics."

So I asked Dave:
"Do you know where i can find the projects? Do you have any URL's or
email addresses that I can go-to/email?"

and he said:
"Most of that work is being done in Japan. Probably the best way to
find current information is to ask on the ruby-talk mailing list."

and so here I am.

So, does anyone know of any projects, websites or even
reports/articles about Intelligent Systems programmed using in Ruby. I
am looking for Intelligent Systems specifically using Fuzzy Logic. For
my university course I am looking to do a project focused on Fuzzy
Logic and I have recently fell in love with the Ruby language, so I am
looking for some ideas, inspiration and any Intelligent Systems tools
out there.

Thank you to anyone that can help,

Daniel Lewis.
* Ruby Programmer
* Fuzzy Theorist
* Software Engineering Student (Undergraduate)
* Analyst Programmer and Developer (R&D)
* Part time website developer
* ACM Student Member (since February 2005)


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Josh Charles
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-22-2005
I'm interested in this as well, but for a different reason. I'm
looking to integrate some basic ai into a web app I'm working on, but
it's hard to know where to start. I've got the ideas, but not the
knowledge of how to implement them. Is there a good starting place
for learning basic AI in ruby?

Daniel, is this the type of thing you are also looking for?

Josh

On 9/22/05, Daniel Lewis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Yesterday (21/09/2005) I sent an email to Dave Thomas (author of
> Programming Ruby [Progmatic Programmers]) asking him about something
> he had written in his preface.
>
> In his preface he wrote:
> "People are writing artificial intelligence and machine learning
> programs in Ruby, and at least one person is using it to investigate
> natural evolution. Ruby's finding a home as a vehicle for exploratory
> mathematics."
>
> So I asked Dave:
> "Do you know where i can find the projects? Do you have any URL's or
> email addresses that I can go-to/email?"
>
> and he said:
> "Most of that work is being done in Japan. Probably the best way to
> find current information is to ask on the ruby-talk mailing list."
>
> and so here I am.
>
> So, does anyone know of any projects, websites or even
> reports/articles about Intelligent Systems programmed using in Ruby. I
> am looking for Intelligent Systems specifically using Fuzzy Logic. For
> my university course I am looking to do a project focused on Fuzzy
> Logic and I have recently fell in love with the Ruby language, so I am
> looking for some ideas, inspiration and any Intelligent Systems tools
> out there.
>
> Thank you to anyone that can help,
>
> Daniel Lewis.
> * Ruby Programmer
> * Fuzzy Theorist
> * Software Engineering Student (Undergraduate)
> * Analyst Programmer and Developer (R&D)
> * Part time website developer
> * ACM Student Member (since February 2005)
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Daniel Lewis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-22-2005
On 22/09/05, Josh Charles <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm interested in this as well, but for a different reason. I'm
> looking to integrate some basic ai into a web app I'm working on, but
> it's hard to know where to start. I've got the ideas, but not the
> knowledge of how to implement them. Is there a good starting place
> for learning basic AI in ruby?
>
> Daniel, is this the type of thing you are also looking for?


Yes, any basic AI in Ruby. Any type of AI in ruby to be honest, I want
to research what has been created already. I have been in contact
with someone that has ported some AI examples from a book (written in
C), he has ported them into a Ruby program.

I am thinking simulations and fuzzy control. My project will involve
graphics (possibly 3D), so I'll be looking into that too.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ara.T.Howard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-22-2005
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Daniel Lewis wrote:

> Yesterday (21/09/2005) I sent an email to Dave Thomas (author of
> Programming Ruby [Progmatic Programmers]) asking him about something
> he had written in his preface.
>
> In his preface he wrote:
> "People are writing artificial intelligence and machine learning
> programs in Ruby, and at least one person is using it to investigate
> natural evolution. Ruby's finding a home as a vehicle for exploratory
> mathematics."
>
> So I asked Dave:
> "Do you know where i can find the projects? Do you have any URL's or
> email addresses that I can go-to/email?"
>
> and he said:
> "Most of that work is being done in Japan. Probably the best way to
> find current information is to ask on the ruby-talk mailing list."
>
> and so here I am.
>
> So, does anyone know of any projects, websites or even
> reports/articles about Intelligent Systems programmed using in Ruby. I
> am looking for Intelligent Systems specifically using Fuzzy Logic. For
> my university course I am looking to do a project focused on Fuzzy
> Logic and I have recently fell in love with the Ruby language, so I am
> looking for some ideas, inspiration and any Intelligent Systems tools
> out there.
>
> Thank you to anyone that can help,


http://rubyforge.org/projects/ai-app-prog/
http://rubyplayer.rubyforge.org/
http://evonet.sourceforge.net/
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/fann/

http://sciruby.codeforpeople.com/sr....estingProjects

hth.

-a
--
================================================== =============================
| email :: ara [dot] t [dot] howard [at] noaa [dot] gov
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| Your life dwells amoung the causes of death
| Like a lamp standing in a strong breeze. --Nagarjuna
================================================== =============================



 
Reply With Quote
 
Ara.T.Howard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-22-2005
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Daniel Lewis wrote:

> On 22/09/05, Josh Charles <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I'm interested in this as well, but for a different reason. I'm
>> looking to integrate some basic ai into a web app I'm working on, but
>> it's hard to know where to start. I've got the ideas, but not the
>> knowledge of how to implement them. Is there a good starting place
>> for learning basic AI in ruby?
>>
>> Daniel, is this the type of thing you are also looking for?

>
> Yes, any basic AI in Ruby. Any type of AI in ruby to be honest, I want
> to research what has been created already. I have been in contact
> with someone that has ported some AI examples from a book (written in
> C), he has ported them into a Ruby program.
>
> I am thinking simulations and fuzzy control. My project will involve
> graphics (possibly 3D), so I'll be looking into that too.


you may want to ping joel vanderwerf (frequents this group) was doing some
work with robotic car brains - thought i could have mis-remembered this

http://www.path.berkeley.edu:81/peop...werf_joel.html
http://www.path.berkeley.edu/

cheers.

-a
--
================================================== =============================
| email :: ara [dot] t [dot] howard [at] noaa [dot] gov
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| Your life dwells amoung the causes of death
| Like a lamp standing in a strong breeze. --Nagarjuna
================================================== =============================



 
Reply With Quote
 
Shashank Date
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-22-2005

Hi,

--- "Ara.T.Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> http://rubyforge.org/projects/ai-app-prog/
> http://rubyplayer.rubyforge.org/
> http://evonet.sourceforge.net/
> http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/fann/
>=20
> http://sciruby.codeforpeople.com/sr....estingProjects


and if you are interested in NLP:

http://www.geocities.com/ben_bongalon/rubycon/

HTH,
-- shanko



__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around=20
http://mail.yahoo.com=20


 
Reply With Quote
 
Edward Faulkner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-22-2005
--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Disposition: inline

I'd suggest you find a good introduction to AI techniques, and then
worry about implementing them in Ruby. Here's a fairly basic survey
of the field:

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Electrical...ings/index.htm

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ
Content-Type: application/pgp-signature; name="signature.asc"
Content-Description: Digital signature
Content-Disposition: inline

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFDMtH2nhUz11p9MSARAsXTAJ4tLcKVspXqx4cg9VGL2m KiQy/anACghZ7/
EPJRzaOVjd8Uj8OvCTVRlyg=
=QyKI
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ--


 
Reply With Quote
 
Phil Tomson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-22-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Daniel Lewis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Yesterday (21/09/2005) I sent an email to Dave Thomas (author of
>Programming Ruby [Progmatic Programmers]) asking him about something
>he had written in his preface.
>
>In his preface he wrote:
>"People are writing artificial intelligence and machine learning
>programs in Ruby, and at least one person is using it to investigate
>natural evolution. Ruby's finding a home as a vehicle for exploratory
>mathematics."
>
>So I asked Dave:
>"Do you know where i can find the projects? Do you have any URL's or
>email addresses that I can go-to/email?"
>
>and he said:
>"Most of that work is being done in Japan. Probably the best way to
>find current information is to ask on the ruby-talk mailing list."
>
>and so here I am.
>
>So, does anyone know of any projects, websites or even
>reports/articles about Intelligent Systems programmed using in Ruby. I
>am looking for Intelligent Systems specifically using Fuzzy Logic. For
>my university course I am looking to do a project focused on Fuzzy
>Logic and I have recently fell in love with the Ruby language, so I am
>looking for some ideas, inspiration and any Intelligent Systems tools
>out there.
>
>Thank you to anyone that can help,
>
>Daniel Lewis.
>* Ruby Programmer
>* Fuzzy Theorist
>* Software Engineering Student (Undergraduate)
>* Analyst Programmer and Developer (R&D)
>* Part time website developer
>* ACM Student Member (since February 2005)


I haven't done any Fuzzy Logic, but I have used Ruby to develop genetic
algorithms, Support Vector Machines (SVM), Ant Colony Optimization and now
Particle Swarm Optimization.

You should also check the Sciruby site. (sorry don't have the URL handy, but
google should find it)

Phil
 
Reply With Quote
 
Phil Tomson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-22-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Josh Charles <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I'm interested in this as well, but for a different reason. I'm
>looking to integrate some basic ai into a web app I'm working on, but
>it's hard to know where to start. I've got the ideas, but not the
>knowledge of how to implement them. Is there a good starting place
>for learning basic AI in ruby?
>


What kind of ai are you trying to integegrate with your web app? Or maybe I
should ask: what do you want the ai to do for you?

Phil
 
Reply With Quote
 
Josh Charles
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-22-2005
On 9/22/05, Phil Tomson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What kind of ai are you trying to integegrate with your web app? Or mayb=

e I
> should ask: what do you want the ai to do for you?


Well, I have a few ideas that would effect usability and create a
better end-user experience, but I'm still in the process of deciding
whether or not the costs of implementing the system would be worth the
benefits. Also, many of the features could also be implemented using a
rules based architecture, and I know if that would be considered AI or
not.

It is similar to googles "did you mean aardvark?" when you search for
"ardvark." is that considered AI?

It is such things, I believe, that really create a good web browsing
experience. The software I'm working on is going to be used by mainly
non-technical small business owners, so it needds to be as friendly as
possible.

On a side note, this project will be a combination of .NET and Ruby,
and I do not yet know which language the AI component will be written
in, if it is indeed AI that I will be using.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Call for Papers: The 2011 International Conference of Computational Intelligence and Intelligent Systems (ICCIIS’11) IMECS 2007 Java 0 02-10-2011 11:16 AM
Call for Papers: The 2010 International Conference of ComputationalIntelligence and Intelligent Systems (ICCIIS 2010) IMECS Java 0 02-01-2010 04:09 AM
Call for Papers: The 2009 International Conference of ComputationalIntelligence and Intelligent Systems (ICCIIS 2009) wce_2008@iaeng.org Java 0 01-20-2009 12:40 AM
Call for Papers: The 2007 International Conference of Computational Intelligence and Intelligent Systems (ICCIIS 2007) imecs__2007@iaeng.org Java 0 12-21-2006 11:20 AM
Voip PBX,Private Phone Systems,PBX Telephone Systems, Business Phone Systems broadbandera@gmail.com UK VOIP 9 07-24-2006 03:44 PM



Advertisments