Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Get to the Point: Ruby and Rails Presentation Slides

Get to the Point: Ruby and Rails Presentation Slides

John W. Long

Hi,

Ryan Platte and I just did a presentation to the Chicago ACM about Ruby
this evening. Our slides are available for others to use here:

http://johnwlong.com/slides/gettothepoint/

Comments and suggestions are welcome. We would like to present this
again in the future, so it would be good to clarify things a little.

Please note: slides are best if viewed in Firefox or Safari.

--
John Long
http://wiseheartdesign.com

Devin Mullins

Cool! My browser's sorta, uh, frozen right now (that's what happens when
you have ~200 tabs open), so I can't look at it, but you might consider
sticking a link to it on the Why Ruby? page
(www.rubygarden/ruby?WhyRuby, I believe).

Devin

John W. Long wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Ryan Platte and I just did a presentation to the Chicago ACM about
> Ruby this evening. Our slides are available for others to use here:
>
> http://johnwlong.com/slides/gettothepoint/
>
> Comments and suggestions are welcome. We would like to present this
> again in the future, so it would be good to clarify things a little.
>
> Please note: slides are best if viewed in Firefox or Safari.
>
> --
> John Long
> http://wiseheartdesign.com

Josh Charles

On 9/14/05, John W. Long <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Comments and suggestions are welcome. We would like to present this
> again in the future, so it would be good to clarify things a little.

Excellent Presentation. The only thing I didn't quite understand was
the "method_missing" stuff. I haven't encountered that before; could
you add to that a little bit?

Josh

Bil Kleb

John W. Long wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ryan Platte and I just did a presentation to the Chicago ACM about Ruby
> this evening. Our slides are available for others to use here:
>
> http://johnwlong.com/slides/gettothepoint/
>
> Comments and suggestions are welcome.

From Tufte's "The Smallest Effective Difference"
chapter in /Visual Explanations/, I would tone
down the syntax highlighting contrasts by an
order of magnitude.

Otherwise, quite refreshing. Thanks for sharing.

What's the wget or curl command to grab the
lot so I can stick it on a disc to give to
some newbies?

Thanks,
--
Bil
http://fun3d.larc.nasa.gov

Curt Hibbs

------=_Part_13696_9647129.1126797569914

Ruby uses the same model of method invocation as Smalltalk. Conceptually,=
=20
you send a "message" to an object. The message has a name and a set of=20
parameters. Ruby attempts to find a method definition that matches the=20
signature of the message in the target object's class and each of its=20
superclasses.=20

If no matching method is found, Ruby sends a "method_missing" message to th=
e=20
object instead (including the original message as a parameter). Most object=
s=20
don't implement method_missing and the implementation in Ruby's root object=
=20
is invoked (which output the standard error message).

If the object does implement method_missing, then it gets control and can d=
o=20
whatever it wants with the original message. In the case of this example, i=
t=20
forwards the original message to the object it is proxying.

This is a powerful feature when you are building reusable frameworks. Rails=
=20
uses this to provide "virtual" implementations of its find_* methods.=20
FreeRIDE uses this to implement attributes on its Databus nodes.

Hope that helped.

Curt

On 9/15/05, Josh Charles <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>=20
> On 9/14/05, John W. Long <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Comments and suggestions are welcome. We would like to present this
> > again in the future, so it would be good to clarify things a little.

>=20
> Excellent Presentation. The only thing I didn't quite understand was
> the "method_missing" stuff. I haven't encountered that before; could
> you add to that a little bit?
>=20
> Josh
>=20

------=_Part_13696_9647129.1126797569914--

Emiel van de Laar

* Bil Kleb ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
> John W. Long wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >Ryan Platte and I just did a presentation to the Chicago ACM about Ruby
> >this evening. Our slides are available for others to use here:
> >
> >http://johnwlong.com/slides/gettothepoint/
> >
> >Comments and suggestions are welcome.

> From Tufte's "The Smallest Effective Difference"
> chapter in /Visual Explanations/, I would tone
> down the syntax highlighting contrasts by an
> order of magnitude.
>
> Otherwise, quite refreshing. Thanks for sharing.
>
> What's the wget or curl command to grab the
> lot so I can stick it on a disc to give to
> some newbies?

This worked for me:

%wget -r http://johnwlong.com/slides/gettothepoint/

Had to get the images manually though because wget doesn't know anything
about CSS.

/images/background.gif
/images/code-bottom-right.gif
/images/code-top-left.gif
/images/prev.gif
/images/next.gif
/images/stripe.png

Perhaps John could provide a tar or zip.

Emiel
--
Emiel van de Laar

John W. Long

Bil Kleb wrote:
> From Tufte's "The Smallest Effective Difference"
> chapter in /Visual Explanations/, I would tone
> down the syntax highlighting contrasts by an
> order of magnitude.

I've never read this book. Can you explain the reasoning behind what you
suggest in a little more detail?

> Otherwise, quite refreshing. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!

> What's the wget or curl command to grab the
> lot so I can stick it on a disc to give to
> some newbies?

It should be available in the Why Ruby project documentation in a little
bit. I'm waiting on Curt Hibbs to approve it:

http://rubyforge.org/docman/?group_id=251

--
John Long
http://wiseheartdesign.com

John W. Long

John W. Long wrote:
> It should be available in the Why Ruby project documentation in a little
> bit. I'm waiting on Curt Hibbs to approve it:
>
> http://rubyforge.org/docman/?group_id=251

It's approved:

http://rubyforge.org/docman/view.php...-the-point.zip

--
John

Bil Kleb

John W. Long wrote:
> Bil Kleb wrote:
>
>> From Tufte's "The Smallest Effective Difference"
>> chapter in /Visual Explanations/, I would tone
>> down the syntax highlighting contrasts by an
>> order of magnitude.

> I've never read this book.

If you're in the U.S., I highly recommend making every
effort to get yourself to one of Tufte's short courses,

http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/courses

(You'll get a copy of his books as part of the course
fee.)

> Can you explain the reasoning behind what you
> suggest in a little more detail?

Many some quotations from that chapter, will help?

Make all visual distinctions as subtle as possible,
but still clear and effective.

/small/ differences allow /more/ differences

In designing information, then, the idea is to use
/just notable differences/, visual elements that
make a clear difference but no more -- contrasts
that are definite, effective, /and/ minimal.

when /everything/ is emphasized, /nothing/ is
emphasized; the design will often be noisy,
cluttered, and informationally flat.

Regards,
--
Bil
http://fun3d.larc.nasa.gov

Curt Hibbs

------=_Part_19430_7648088.1126869198806

On 9/16/05, Bil Kleb <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>=20
> In designing information, then, the idea is to use
> /just notable differences/, visual elements that
> make a clear difference but no more -- contrasts
> that are definite, effective, /and/ minimal.
>=20
> when /everything/ is emphasized, /nothing/ is
> emphasized; the design will often be noisy,
> cluttered, and informationally flat.

Hmmm... reminds me of when I find a chapter of a book so interested that I=
=20
use my highlighter on 80% of it and then find my highlighting to be totally=
=20
useless!

Curt

------=_Part_19430_7648088.1126869198806--