Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Long process -> page can't be displayed

Long process -> page can't be displayed

Jeroen Pot

Hi,

i have an asp.net web application. A user can start a process which takes a
long time, about 1.5 hour.
but after about an hour, internet explorer display's the page:

"The page cannot be displayed".

If i look at the processlist, the aspnet_wp.exe is still running fine. And
the last action before ending is write a small text file. It does it
perfectly. So i conclude it's no server side problem.

Does anyone know why internet expolorer displays that message. And how to
prevent it from comming up?

John Saunders

"Jeroen Pot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:284a6$40ef1ab0$52d96a12$(E-Mail Removed) .nl...
> Hi,
>
> i have an asp.net web application. A user can start a process which takes

> long time, about 1.5 hour.
> but after about an hour, internet explorer display's the page:
>
> "The page cannot be displayed".
>
> If i look at the processlist, the aspnet_wp.exe is still running fine. And
> the last action before ending is write a small text file. It does it
> perfectly. So i conclude it's no server side problem.
>
> Does anyone know why internet expolorer displays that message. And how to
> prevent it from comming up?

I can't directly answer your question, but: are you sure you want to trust
your users to stay on the same page for 1.5 hours? Why not just start the
long-running process and allow the user to come back and check for status
later?
--
John Saunders
johnwsaundersiii at hotmail

Peter Rilling

That would be my advice also. In addition, you could force the page to
refresh periodically to provide them with updated status (if they stayed on
the page).

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...